2.15.19 14

5 Routines That Make My Life Easier

I have always been pretty routine. I do the same things in the same way most of the time. I am TYPE A through and through, and while sometimes it’s not the best thing (I am not great at spontaneity), other times it truly saves me. I want to share the 5 routines that make my life easier. As a busy mom of an active toddler and someone who works full time for herself, routines are my saving grace.

5 Routines That Make My Life Easier

Morning Routine: I try to keep our mornings pretty much the same no matter if it’s a school day, non-school day, or weekend. Liam wakes up at the same time. I mostly wake up at the same time. When I wake up I wash my face, brush my teeth, do my morning skincare routine, get dressed. Then I eat breakfast and respond to any pressing emails while I eat as well as share my blog post for the day if there is one. Once Liam is up I am in mom mode. We read books and play then have breakfast and get ready for school if it’s a school day or get ready for whatever activity we are off to. Andrew usually leaves for work before Liam is up! By doing this I feel like Liam always knows what to expect and that makes tantrums less likely.

Workout Routine: Even though my workout may look different each day when/how I work out stays the same. On MWF I go to the gym right after dropping Liam off at school. On Tuesdays I work out at home during his nap and on Thursdays if Andrew is working from home I run to the gym after breakfast. On Saturdays I work out after breakfast at home because we leave for Little Gym shortly after and Sundays I head to the gym after breakfast.

Laundry: For some reason I always do laundry on Wednesdays and Sundays. At least for our clothes. I wash our sheets and towels on Saturdays. It has been like this for YEARS and years and the spaced out days mean that I am not doing insane amounts of laundry at once. I do Liam’s laundry on a more as needed basis but usually twice a week.

Meal Planning: Every Thursday/Friday Andrew and I meal plan for the next week. This is helpful for a few reasons. It doesn’t lead to any “so what do you want tonight?” “I dunno what do you want tonight?” endless discussions. We also waste a LOT less food. We know exactly what we need when we grocery shop and we don’t purchase unnecessary items that we end up throwing out.

Night Routine: I do a few things at night that I think really help our days. I make Liam’s lunch (and get his water bottle ready) at night if the next day is a school day. I lay out Liam’s clothes for the next day. I pack his school bag and put things in my car for school the next day. I also lay my clothes out for the next morning and make sure anything I need is ready. Andrew and I tidy up the playroom, Liam’s room, the kitchen, and the family room so we start the next day fresh. We also wipe down counters, and take out any trash. These things collectively may take 30 minutes. But they save SO MUCH STRESS and time the next day.

I think certain routines can really make aspects of your life so much easier and seamless.

I would love to know what routines you have?

1. I love having a routine, it keeps me grounded. I think I’d go crazy without one! My night routine is especially important for me. I don’t like to stay out late because I want to get all comfy and have some alone time every night before I go to bed! 🙂

Published 2.15.19
  2. I agree that going to bed and waking up at the same time whether it’s a work day or weekend is a great way to make your life easier because you won’t disrupt your or your kids’ sleep patterns.

Published 2.15.19
  3. Scott wrote:

I also use routines to get more things done. Especially with the blog – so many things to do, if I don’t do them in order each time I’ll forget!

Published 2.15.19
  4. roseline wrote:

I agree with you, routines and good habits that can improve the quality of our life in the future

Published 2.15.19
  5. Clarice wrote:

I am not really good in following routines but I guess it would be helpful to try and follow one. I have been so swamped with work and been lagging with household chores. Thank you so much for these tips. Will definitely apply them.

Published 2.15.19

I am also very much about my routines! A lot of this sounds very familiar. I also have a morning routine I have to follow and we get up only about half an hour later on the weekends than we do on school days. I’ve been able to back off of getting the boy’s school stuff ready for the next day as they are getting older and I have been teaching them how to pack their backpacks and make sure they have what they need. My oldest has also been buying lunch at school which has been a big help and my youngest will have lunch provided at the new preschool he will be starting in the fall so no more lunch packing next year!

Published 2.15.19
  7. Lynne Foster wrote:

Every evening before bed I lay out the clothes I will wear the next day ..and I mean all of it – underwear, bra, the jeans or leggings, the top, the socks, the shoes, and then carry them to the bathroom, which is wear I actually get dressed in the morning. I also make sure the Keurig is full of water, the My K-cup accessory is clean and empty, and that a mug is already on the Keurig ready to receive the coffee. (I can’t bring myself to actually fill the My K-cup with the ground coffee, since I know coffee should be kept in an airtight container to maintain its freshness). In the morning, all I will need to do is scoop in the coffee, and turn on the machine.

I also double check that my work ID and keys are on the shelf on the first floor that they are supposed to be on, and make sure my bag is ready to go, and that what I will take for lunch has been decided on. I look at my google calendar one last time to make sure I am not forgetting an appointment or an event that I have the following day, and I straighten up the living room (which usually just involves refolding a blanket or two, and maybe carrying some glasses to the kitchen). It’s the first room I see when I get to the first floor in the morning, and if it is tidy, it’s a nice start to the day.

I also make sure Swagbucks is up and running on the laptop so that it is viewing videos all night and earning points. : )

I’ve learned that no matter how tired I am, it’s worth it to go ahead and do these things. Without fail, I regret it the following morning if I don’t!

Published 2.15.19
  8. Nancy wrote:

Took me a long time to embrace the comfort of routine, but now I’m hooked! One thing I highly recommend to others is having a cup (or pot) of herbal tea in the evening, after dinner. Great way to relax, stay hydrated!

Published 2.15.19
  9. Tami wrote:

I would like to get a workout routine in place. I would add some outside activity with my six year old.

Published 2.15.19
  10. Briana wrote:

Routines are a great help!

Briana

Published 2.15.19
  11. I have a pretty set routine as well. MWF gym, shower, grocery shop, home for a bit then my second workout. Tuesday’s are my pottery day. Weekends vary a bit depending on what’s happening. I love the feeling of routine though.

Published 2.16.19
  12. Krysten wrote:

Oh my gosh you are so organized! I wish I could keep my life organized like this, but with my wonky schedule it’s pretty hard to do unfortunately.

Published 2.16.19
  13. Meal planning is something I would love to get into but haven’t. Started a few times then stopped. It does help to have a routine.

Published 2.16.19
  14. Christa wrote:

I am such a creature of habit and keep my routines pretty steady. Although it seems laundry is an every day occurrence.

Published 2.17.19