Organization is something that is VERY important to me. If my home, car, and workspace aren’t organized I feel off. Do you ever feel like that? I wanted to share my 5 best organization tips, so that if you ever feel like you just need to get your life together you can turn to these. I promise they will change your life!
- Put stuff away as you are done with it: I am a big believer in having stuff in its place. Sometimes this means I won’t sit down and relax until the kitchen is cleaned up after dinner, or laundry is put away. Honestly, I think it makes life easier to clean up messes right away. The more and more I do this the more I realize our house is almost always tidy. I know once we have kids this may get a bit harder but I hope by getting in the habit now I can continue it.
- Throw out/donate one thing at least a day: Everyday I try to tackle small areas that I see a lot of clutter in. This may be my office desk, a drawer in the kitchen, or one of the rooms upstairs. Make it a mission to find one thing in your home that is beyond repair and throw it out. This may be that stack of old bills or papers that needs to be shredded or that junk drawer in your kitchen with expired gift cards. Also if you have a ton of stuff to shred most UPS stores have a flat fee for shredding. I do this all the time!
- Fold things/put laundry away the correct way: It can be so easy to get frustrated when folding sheets, or realizing at 11PM your dryer is full of clothes that need to be put away. This can lead to hurrying around and shoving things in drawers and closets or leaving things in laundry baskets. It adds up fast and no one wants to deal with piled up laundry or sheets thrown in a closet. My advice: it only takes 10-15 minutes to put away laundry the right way so do it right and you don’t have to worry about it. I tend to organize mine into piles first of socks, t-shirts, shorts etc. It helps!
- Organize one area in your home a week: This is somewhat of an elaboration on number 2 above. If you take one area a week like one closet, one drawer, one cabinet, or a full room like one bathroom, office, etc a week and organize, throw out, shred papers, donate, etc it makes your home a lot more organized. Once you finish every space you just start over because of course the other spaces will get messy. One area of ours that always seems to need organization is our pantry! I try to do that one once a month!
- Less is more: Ask yourself this: Does it make me happy? If not then why have it? If it’s not helpful or bringing you joy (shout out to my fav book) get rid of it. Donate what you can and throw out what is beyond raggedy! I did this on New Year’s Day this year. Seriously, I went room by room in one day and got rid of boxes and bags of stuff. Great way to start the year. It also helps when you are at places like Target or HomeGoods (my weaknesses) to ask yourself if what you are about to buy is necessary. Coffee mugs and notebooks are always appealing, but do you really need it? Living by a more minimalist/less is more philosophy will keep you far more organized.
A few odds and ends:
- Ikea has amazing storage solutions for things like makeup, tools, small items such as nails/bolts/tacks etc. Drop some money on good organization ideas and then make it a point to always put things back in their place.
- If you can’t fit your car in your garage, it may be time to clean the garage out. Plus, having a garage sale gives you money to put towards something fun like a vacation, a fancy date night, or a home project!
- Spare bedroom closets are where items go to die. Seriously I look in ours and think “where did all of this come from!?”
These are the best organization tips I am always using for our home. It’s how I stay less stressed and more organized. It is why I am never rushing around before company comes over or if someone unexpectedly drops by. Try them out for yourselves and see what you think!
What best organization tips do you use?