I am a sucker for an organized closet and I feel like no matter how big or small your space is you can find the best ways to organize it.
I have used the same system in the house I grew up in, my dorm room and various apartments along the way. They were all very different sized closets but these tips worked for me and they will for you too if you are looking to reorganize your space.
Neely’s Best Closet Organization Tips
1. Take everything out of the closet. Yep everything. Go through old clothes that dont fit, need to be altered, need to be thrown out or donated. Take inventory! What have you not worn in a year? What will you never wear again? If its a jean jacket however keep it cause those always find their way back in style. This isn’t just for clothes this is for shoes, purses and accessories too. Anything you keep in your closet.
2. Once that is done look at the space you are working with. Do you have shelves? How much hanging space do you have? Cabinets? If you dont have a lot of bar space head to Target or Container store and buy a hanging bar. These are great especially in small apartments and dorm rooms and give you twice the hanging space. If you have a lot of shelves use those for things like sweaters that should be folded, workout clothes, basic layer tanks and tees, and shoes.
3. For things you hang up I always like to go first by style then by color. I have mine by short sleeve, long sleeve, sweaters, jackets on one bar. On a smaller bar all of my pants. Next bar all of my dresses and the lowest bar are my fancier tops that are more for going out or dressing up. In each section I have the appropriate style by color. Yes this made me realize I had 20 grey sweaters(someone stage an intervention). This is great for finding that blue top or brown sweater when you are in a rush and dont want to rummage through everything in your closet.
4. Purses and Shoes: This is dependent on your level of space. I keep my purses in dust bag in a cabinet in my closet. I have a small bin I keep clutches and extra wallets and things like that in. All of my shoes are on shelving space above my clothing bars. I also have a hanging shoe rack on my closet door where I keep my toms, flip flops, sperrys and things of that nature.
5. If you have enough space consider using thumb tacks to hang up necklaces on a wall in your closet. This is great for not getting necklaces tangled or mixed up. If not you can use ziplock bags and keep them in a drawer.
Once you have done things you may find you need things like extra hangers, a shoe rack, etc and thats all easy to find at places like Target, Walmart or Container Store. I also recommend doing this every year or so to keep your closet from being cluttered. I am for sure not an expert but these are things that have always worked for me and I always know where my black cardigan is 🙂
What are you closet organization tips?