Andrew and I meal plan every weekend. We sit down and decide what we are having for dinner each night that week before we head out to the two, sometimes three, grocery stores we shop at. This is really helpful for us, because not only do we not overbuy food at the grocery store that goes to waste, but we also know each night without discussion what we are cooking, and who is cooking which night.
I wanted to share 10 of the food staples we always have on hand, that not only help with meals, but also help for snacking, lunches, and general healthy eating.
- Spinach: I use spinach for smoothies every day. We also add spinach to whole wheat pasta dishes, and several other meals throughout the week to make sure we always have a green veggie.
- Greek Yogurt: Another staple for both smoothies (always put greek yogurt in for extra protein) and snacks! So good with berries or granola. Also a great easy breakfast!
- Fruit (apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries): Fruit is great for snacking, putting on oatmeal or yogurt in the morning, and for a sweet treat after dinner.
- Oatmeal: My go to morning breakfast. I get asked all the time what I eat for breakfast everyday. Oatmeal! Almost everyday for the last 7 years. I use Nature’s Path Organic and either add berries or a half of a banana sliced. Sometimes if I am feeling fancy, I add cinnamon.
- Eggs: I love hard boiled eggs on salads at home. I also love hard boiled or scrambled egg whites for my lunch protein. Eggs are easy to prep on a Sunday. Take all 12 eggs and boil them in a pot of water and let sit for 15 minutes. Then put them in a tupperware container and you have prepped eggs all week.
- Smart Pop Popcorn: The perfect afternoon or after dinner snack.
- Skim Milk: I do not drink milk by itself, but I do have milk in my smoothies (1/4 cup) or in my coffee. Always skim!
- Granola Bars: My go to post workout snack. My favorites are Clif Zbars and Kashi, and sometimes chewy 90 calorie bars.
- Hummus: Central Market black bean hummus is one of my favorite foods. I eat this at some point almost everyday. If you like spicy foods this you will love. I do not eat queso anymore because, well it’s just bad for you, and this to me is about the closest I will get. Also great for healthy nachos.
- Wheat Flour: I use wheat flour for baking and we also use wheat flour to make our pizza dough for homemade pizza every Friday.
I feel like having these food staples around all the time is great because it takes a lot of the guess work out of meals. I eat all my meals at home daily since I work from home, and having these items makes it so much easier.
I would love to know what food staples you keep around!