As you all know fitness is something that is very important to me. It can be SO EASY to get out of the routine and feel like you don’t know how to climb out of it. Especially in certain seasons of life. I am here to tell you how to get out of a fitness rut if you happen to find yourself in one.
How To Get Out Of A Fitness Rut
- Find something new: Whenever I have started something new I feel this sense of renewed excitement in workouts. Working out with a new trainer, finding a new class at your gym, or a new at-home workout. For me, that was when we got our Peloton in 2021. Ever since I have been hooked!
- Ask a friend to join: I take a Pilates class every week at the Y here in our area and 2 of my best friends take it with me! It makes me so much more motivated to go knowing they are th
- Put it on your calendar: This is a big one for me. I know if something is on my calendar it has to happen. I find that having it right there tells me I have blocked off that time, I have made a commitment to myself.
- Do it first thing: I also do it FIRST THING! I wake up before my kids and husband and I get my workout done. I try to do a Peloton ride and some strength or I will meet a friend for a morning walk!
- Do a challenge with friends: I do a monthly Apple watch challenge with a group of friends and it keeps me so motivated!
- Make a new playlist: A new playlist can be so motivating! If you aren’t in the mood to create one yourself Spotify has millions.
- Find a fun Podcast: Working out is one of the only times I can listen to Podcasts. So finding a new Podcast is really exciting to me because it motivates me to get my butt into workout gear so I can listen! No matter what your interests are there are Podcasts for you! You can find some of my favorites here.
Do you have any tips to share on how to get out of a fitness rut?
This post was originally published in 2020 but has been updated for 2022.
Thank you for these tips! I fell off the fitness bandwagon the last few months, recently picked up gymming again. It’s hard!
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
I was in a rut for the last couple of weeks. We just had so much going on that I was beyond exhausted which meant getting up early to do my workouts wasn’t happening. I like to be up before my boys and have my workout and shower done before they wake, too. Today, I told my husband we were doing our workout, like it or not. So, we did. I think I get more exhausted when I’m not working out, but the exhaustion makes it hard to get up and then I get stuck.
oh i need to get my butt back to working out, I can’t wait to do it, it is about time.
Good tips! I find myself in a fitness rut once a month at least. Usually when I’m sore or when work is super exhausting that day. I find that allowing myself to be lazy for a few days actually helps. Then I’m back at it.
These are great tips in getting out of a fitness rut. I find myself getting bored with the same routine and I constantly need to change it up.
You’re great at giving fitness advice. I’m really terrible at working out at all, mostly due to my chronic illness. It just complicates matters. However, I do remember a time where it wasn’t like that – and I would’ve loved reading this for the encouragement then as well! You have excellent tips.
Having a friend join is the best! If you know someone is counting on you to go, you’ll be there!
I absolutely love these tips! Being an active person myself, these are great tips for someone that does need to get out of a rut and get going. I like that you list your personal experience with each of the tips you give to give an extra nudge in the right direction. My favorite tip has to be the find something new because you have to keep things fresh to stay engaged in them. Thank you for the great tips!
These are some awesome tips. I had been doing really well with getting out to walk in my neighborhood frequently, but I’ve been slacking off lately! It really is such a great mood-booster.
I definitely think doing a challenge is a great way to get out of a fitness rut. I love all the free 30-day challenges that various instructors do on their websites or on YouTube. It’s really motivating to think about completing 30 days of something!!
Some good tips! Working out with a friend is super helpful and holds you accountable 🙂
Love these! I was in a fitness rut all winter, then got into CrossFit and haven’t looked back since! I love it! But I also have to write it down and put it on the calendar! I also do it first thing in the morning or else I know in the evening Ill be too tired to go! But I definitely need to get more friends to come with! Love these!