12.30.15 17

Invisalign Pros and Cons

I am an Invisalign® spokesperson, however all thoughts and opinions are my own. Full disclosure

If you are a regular reader, then you probably already know that I am partnering with Invisalign® clear aligners to correct my past— I didn’t wear my retainer after metal braces–and so far, I am loving it!

I am about four months into my treatment and it’s such a part of my daily life now. I carry a case in my purse at all times as well as having one at home so I can easily store my aligners while I eat or drink anything that isn’t water. One of my favorite benefits of Invisalign clear aligners is that you don’t have a long list of forbidden foods like with metal braces. I also got an amazing new tumbler that has a chewy straw that doesn’t feel uncomfortable when I am drinking water.

There are many pros and cons to Invisalign vs. traditional metal braces. The biggest pro for me is there are less appointments with the Invisalign treatment. I get about four sets of clear aligners at each appointment, so I do not have to see my orthodontist each month. Even when I do go to the appointments, they are super short. I think my last check up was less than 15 minutes. That’s such a huge time saver vs. having regular braces and spending upwards of 90 minutes at a doctor’s office.

One of the biggest cons is my mouth gets SUPER dry having the aligners in. This doesn’t happen to everyone and isn’t a huge deal. In fact, I am actually upping my water intake because of it, so it is more like a con that turns into a pro.

Another pro is that I can take my clear aligners out if I need to be on the phone or if I meet with someone in person. Since the aligners make me talk a little funny (I have a bit of a lisp with them), it’s nice to have the option to take them out for 30 minutes here and there.

One last pro is they are super easy to clean. I brush them twice a day just like my teeth and it’s one of the easiest things. I originally thought the cleaning process might be complicated with the Invisalign treatment, but I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of it.

There are a ton of pros for getting Invisalign clear aligners; the ones I shared are just a few. My treatment is going great so far and I am starting to notice slight changes in my smile. I will probably start to see the biggest changes about my 10th clear aligners, and right now, I am on aligner #5. I am excited to share more of my journey with you all in the coming months, so keep your eye out for more posts on my Invisalign treatment experience in the future.

If you have been considering straightening your teeth, check out the Doctor Locator to find an Invisalign provider near you and bring the following questions in for your consultation.

Invisalign Pros and Cons

1. Christa wrote:

I am about halfway through my Invisalign treatment plan and I love them! I see a huge difference in my smile and I am thrilled with the progress. The only con for me are the “buttons” that are cemented to my teeth to help the aligned do their thing. I have a couple on my front teeth and that bugs me. But everyone else says they don’t even notice it until I point it out so it must only be a big deal in my head!!

Good luck with your’s, Neely!

2. Lee Anne wrote:

Luckily I had braces growing up and they fixed my gnarly situation LOL… Your teeth look great girl so it looks like Invisalign is where it’s at! Have a Happy New Year!
    xo
    Lee Anne

3. Shana wrote:

I have often wondered about Invisalign. Whether it was worth trying or not. Thanks for the information.

Published 12.30.15
  4. Both of my parents used Invisalign and couldn’t be happier with the results!

5. Brittany wrote:

This is so great! I religiously wore my retainers for five years after metal braces. Then two months ago I had a crown put on and the time waiting for the permanent crown to come in caused my bottom teeth to shift. They’re not noticeable to anyone but me but I hate it! I’ve been wondering if Invisalign would be a good option for me. Now I know it will! Now, to wait for the orthodontic insurance!

6. tianna wrote:

invisalign sounds awesome! My friend got them earlier in the year and she loves it. I really need to look more into it! thanks for sharing your experiences 🙂

stop by and chat with me ♥ http://storybookapothecary.com

Published 12.30.15
  7. My friend has them and has a love hate relationship with them. She’s been wearing them about 6 months now!

8. Kristin wrote:

I had invisalign a few years ago and it worked really well. It was a little rough when i changed aligners but overall was great!

9. Jackie wrote:

I’m glad your sharing your experience! I was a big failure with my retainers after braces too and now I feel like I need to correct my smile all over again, I’ve been considering Invisalign!

10. Channing wrote:

I had metal braces when I was in middle school up until my last year of junior high and I remember wishing that I had something like invisalign when I was growing up. My retainer they gave me after they came off broke and one of my front teeth has separated from the others so I’ll probably eventually have to get some sort of fix for them. I’ve been seriously considering invisalign for a while now. I’m glad I read your review on it because it does help make the decision a little bit easier.

11. Jenny wrote:

I had braces when I was younger and haven’t worn my retainers much since I got my braces taken off.
    I have a permanent retainer on the bottom of my teeth which can be quite a pain.
    This sounds like a great option.

xoxo, Jenny

12. Ashleigh wrote:

This is a great post as I’ve been thinking about getting Invisalign in 2016… I’m still not sure but this for sure helped as research! Thanks for sharing!

13. Cori wrote:

As someone who suffered through metal braces and the metal retainer, I’m glad there are products like Invisalign out there. My current retainers are like Invisalign, but I only have one pair. And yes, I also talk with a lisp.

Published 12.31.15
  14. Rosalyn O. wrote:

Awesome post! I have been considering getting Invisalign and reading your post has been very helpful! Thanks :))

Published 12.31.15
  15. I’m debating Invisalign but I have so many expenses right now so I have to see what comes first. I think your pros far outweigh your cons thats for sure. 😉

Chiara

Published 1.1.16
  16. Drew wrote:

It’s a little bit hard to believe that this is a pros and cons list when you only list one con, and even admit that it’s not actually a con, but a personal problem. It would be nice to get your real thoughts on the product. It would be much easier to make an informed decision that way.

Published 3.2.16