11.9.16 21

Why I Got The PreTRM Test

This pregnancy was something I was very anxious about. Since it took us a long time to get pregnant, and going through IVF, I spent the majority of the first few months worried something was going to go wrong. I mean that’s pretty normal, right? When I was contacted to try the PreTRM Test I knew it was something I wanted to do. Since getting pregnant was such a challenge, I just wanted to know as much as I could.

why-i-got-the-pretrm-test-o

What is the PreTRM test? It is the first and only prenatal blood test that is clinically validated to be an excellent predictor of preterm birth, in all asymptomatic women who are pregnant with one baby. Preterm birth (defined as before 37 weeks) is a large health and economic problem in the U.S. The PreTRM test requires a simple blood draw taken during the 19th or 20th week of pregnancy.

Traditional methods fail to identify the great majority (more than 85%) of asymptomatic women carrying a single child, resulting in too many babies being born too early with health problems that can last a lifetime. In the US, 1 in 10 pregnancies end in premature birth; this is one of the highest rates in the developed world. Certain women are at increased risk and don’t know it: 50% of women who go onto have a premature birth have no risk factors.

I wanted to know my risk so both my doctor and I could be prepared! Who wouldn’t? My doctor was pretty excited for me to try the test out as well. It was a very easy blood test. The lab technician came to my house, drew one small tube of blood and within 10 days the results were sent back to my doctor. I was at an 8% risk (very low likelihood) for preterm birth which made me breath a HUGE sigh of relief.

Since this is an elective test I know it’s up to each woman if she chooses to find out or not. I am someone who likes to have all of the information possible, especially when it comes to my baby’s health. Call it my Type A personality, but for me knowing if I was at risk was important.

You can get more information on the PreTRM website

I would love to know if you would consider the PreTRM test? Let me know in the comments!

This is a sponsored post. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.

1. trenara wrote:

Great information to know thanks for sharing!

Published 11.9.16
  2. Interesting! I haven’t heard a whole lot about this test (but, then again, pregnancy isn’t really on the radar for me at the moment.) I do know a lot of people who have had preemies lately, though, so I wonder if this might have helped them.

3. Allison wrote:

I had never heard of this before. But, when I get pregnant I’ll probably opt to take it too–I like to have ALL of the information as well!

Published 11.9.16
  4. What a great tool. I’m saving this for when my nieces decide to get pregnant. Thank you!

Published 11.9.16
  5. Interesting. I’d probably have to decide once my husband and I have a baby but I think I would try it then. More information is good! (And all life is precious!)

6. Jackie wrote:

Interesting! We haven’t done it and most likely won’t. I’m 35 weeks this week and will be induced at 39..so just a few more to go! I’m with you though…I definitely want to know every single thing I can about my baby and our health. It’s good for peace of mind alone!

Published 11.9.16
  7. I personally believe it’s a responsible choice that any mother would make during their pregnancies. Although I had never heard of this test when I was pregnant last year, I find it to be especially important considering you (thankfully!) got pregnant through IVF. I , too, would want the piece of mind or at the very least be mentally prepared in the even you make have had a high percentage of risk. It’s all about making those tough choices as a mama and you did what was best for you and your family. I’m all about education and preparedness!

8. Nellwyn wrote:

I didn’t know this test existed but I would definitely do it if I were pregnant. I’m type A as well and I would want to have as much information as possible so I could be prepared.

Published 11.9.16
  9. I’ve never heard of this type of at-home test before. I don’t even know if I’ve heard of doctors having a version.

Published 11.9.16
  10. I also have not heard of this test before. I am done having kids so Iknow things have changed.

Published 11.9.16
  11. Interesting – I hadn’t heard of a test like this before, but I can understand it’s value. Man, there’s just so much to KNOW before you think about having kids. How did you do it all!

Published 11.9.16
  12. I don’t think I’ve heard of this particular test before, but I think it’s worth considering. Good luck as you continue to prepare for the birth of your new baby!

Published 11.9.16
  13. Really interesting! Never heard of it. Will have to keep it in my head!

14. Kelsie wrote:

I didn’t even know this was a thing! So interesting. I’ve got my glucose tolerance test coming up in a month and I’m nervous ha! Go pregnant ladies!

15. Jenny wrote:

Wow, so interesting! I had never heard of this before.

Published 11.9.16
  16. Such a good new test. I ‘m sure it was stressful to hear the results, but worth it to find out what happened!

Published 11.10.16
  17. Michele wrote:

I am well past child bearing age so would not need this test. I do however think it is an important one to have in light of those statistics up there. I am happy that they work with the doctors and don’t have you doing it yourself!

Published 11.10.16
  18. Keating wrote:

I had no idea there was a test for this! I know there’s blood work you can have done to check for certain conditions and abnormalities, but I hadn’t heard of this before. I’ll definitely have to look into it when we start our family.

xo, Keating | Why Hello Lovely

Published 11.10.16
  19. Lisa Rios wrote:

Pregnancy is such a wonderful thing to happen in a women’s life and I am sure there are going to be many anxious moments ahead. Despite being a mom of 2, the PreTRM Test is a pretty new term for me and the information is going to be so much useful for many pregnant women for sure!

Published 11.10.16
  20. I didn’t know about this test when I was pregnant. My younger son was born two weeks early but I had been having contractions since 34 weeks.

Published 11.10.16
  21. Carrie wrote:

I have never heard of this test before but I definitely think it is worthwhile to be prepared. So glad you do have to worry so much about going into labor early.

Published 11.11.16