I feel like it’s important to be a positive person. It’s much easier to be positive than negative. When you are positive others around you are more positive and people want to be around people who have a positive attitude. Trust me I have bad days, I have negative days but I really try to see the positive in everything I can. Even the really hard, terrible things. There are certain ways to be more positive that I really live by and I want to share them with you!
10 Ways To Be More Positive
- Think about other people: So when I am down I call my mom. Duh. She likes to remind me how bad other people have it. The blessings in my life. Why my “problems” aren’t as big as I am making them out to be. Yes, my mom is crazy supportive but she also likes to set me straight about how good I have it.
- Change your scenery: Sometimes you need to change it up. Go for a drive to clear your head, go sit at a park and read, go walk around the mall, and window shop. Take your kids outside because the combo of kids’ laughter and fresh air will 100% make you more positive!
- Make a list of happy: I recently got the book, 52 Lists For Happiness. I loved the 52 lists book and this is a great reminder to make a happy list. You could also just write a list of 10-20 happy things! Even on your phone just make a list of all the happy things in your life!
- Do something for YOU: Do a face mask, get a mani-pedi, and buy yourself a treat! Cheer yourself up!
- Work Out: Working out always makes me a happier and more positive person! I feel like Elle Woods knew what she was talking about 🙂 If you have a workout you love it will make you more positive! I personally think starting the day with a good workout is the best!
- Read: An article, a book, the bible (if that’s your jam), whatever can make you more positive! I have a ton of book suggestions here!
- Cook: Something healthy! Make a green smoothie, make a yummy salad, or try a new recipe. Or just bake some cookies and enjoy life!
- Head Outside: I mentioned before about changing your scenery, but you guys it can be so depressing and easy to be negative being stuck inside! So go outside, and get some fresh air! During the pandemic, I feel like we’ve spent even more time outside. Since we have been home so much being in the backyard, going to the park, and even on a walk has been my saving grace.
- Meditate: I have been using the Headspace app on my phone or mediations on the Peloton to practice meditation. I end up doing it at different times daily because I really just don’t have the same consistent time every day. I feel like it really helps my mood a lot.
- Make a praise folder on your computer: When I get praise from a brand I work with, other bloggers, friends, family members, etc I add it to a folder on Google Drive. I go read them when I am feeling negative to remind myself that some stranger’s opinion of me doesn’t matter and that their negative opinion is wrong!
What are some ways to be more positive you live by?
This post was originally published in 2018 and has been updated for 2023
Making a list of happy is a really good suggestion! It’s easy to do, only takes seconds and instantly makes you feel grateful for everything you have. I’m going to do that now! ❤️
Hope you have a great day, Neely! 🙂
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
I have “The Happiness Project” on my to-read list. The two that are probably most effective and often most difficult are working out and going outside. I have to remind myself, especially in winter, to get out and soak up some Vitamin D.
The thing I always do to cheer myself up is to count my blessings! What I do is to create a bucket list of all the things that I already have/got to do etc. It’s humbling to see how already blessed you are. Also, when I do things for others, I end up feeling better.
Love this list! Working at a desk all day I always try to go outside and get some fresh air to improve my day.
Working out usually helps me and/or a little dance party in my living room or bed room!
Oh I love these, I think reading and exercising is my two top go-to ways. but a cup of coffee always helps too – love the blog name.
Really great tips that I always try to remember as well! Cheers to a positive & happy new year!
Great tips! Sometimes all I need is a change of scenery too!
Needed to read this morning, thanks for sharing! I couldn’t agree more with all of your tips, especially reading!
These are all great ideas and meditation and working out are definitely two of my favorite ways. Also, taking a nap. I’ve never been much of a nap person but I have learned that sometimes, that is exactly what I need.
The praise folder is such a cool idea. I definitely find that talking to someone or just relaxing and reading a book are good pick-me-ups.
This is a great list. I definitely try to do the first one. Since I live full time in an Airstream and travel with the agreeable weather (mostly) I try to always think about the people who live in stationary homes and are stuck with whatever weather they are dealt. That usually changes my tune pretty quickly, especially right now! I’m in Southern California on the boarder of Arizona and Mexico, while my family is in Michigan. I run outside in the beautiful sunshine everyday and they are freezing with negative temperatures getting buried in snow… sorry fam lol
Great list and PERFECT timing. It’s currently 8 degrees here – It’s hard to be positive when it’s so cold!
I LOVE your ideas! I just most of them to stay in a better head space. My favorites are to cook or workout, they seem to work best for me.
I think exercise and being outside helps me restart. It gives me a chance to remember the good things in my life, and be thankful for what I have. Great tips!
Loving this list of ways to be more positive. It really isn’t easy to be honest, it took me about 3 years to truly master the art of learning how to be more positive but now it’s regular for me (for the most part). I hope that this list helps others so much!
The praise folder so let an excellent and creative idea! I am looking forward to creating one!
This is a great list! I am always so amazed about how great I feel after working out! It is crazy! I love a change of scenery too!
Love the idea of a praise folder!! Perfect way to cheer yourself up on a bad day!
These are all great pieces of advice to help us stay positive despite all these things going on around us. I go to the mall almost every week, not to buy anything but just to have a change of environment. I spend like two or three hours just window shopping and buying myself a sweet treat. Watching a silly comedy series or movie works wonders in uplifting my mood too.
Books instantly put me in a better mood and help me relax so much. I am trying to read for at least 10 minutes every night to help me decompress from a stressful and long day.
I love this! I have been working HARD on this this year. One thing I have been doing is using a gratitude journal, similar to the praise folder. I feel like remembering what you’re grateful for keeps you much more positive.
I love these tips. Personally, I have started jogging every other day and meditating. This definitely helps me keep an open and positive mind throughout the day.
Elle Woods totally had a point with that line! I use the Headspace app and I’m loving it. That coupled with the breathing app on my Apple Watch have definitely me in my “whoosah” moments.
You’re right, it IS really easy to be negative. I LOVE the “praise folder” idea! How awesome!
Awww I love this! Everyone can definitely use more positivity in their lives!
Reading is such a great suggestion. It always makes me feel calm, relaxed & happy!
I love alternative language too ‘challenge’ over ‘problem’ etc
These are such great tips. I am a super positive person and definitely feel working out helps so much!
Having time alone to do something for me always helps with my outlook on life. Reading God’s Word does, as well.
these are really great tips! Sometimes just being mindful of a few of these things can turn your positivity upward!
Working out makes such a difference for me! I love your idea about making a list of happy! I will have to try that!
Great reminders on how we can turn around a day (or even a feeling) easily!
Oooo great list!!! They say positive mind, positive life!!! Good to try and stay focused on all things positive.
My praise list is always quick to pull me out of hard places!
what great tips. i love this list. i have been working on being more positive. it is a must espeically with everything going on in the world right now.
oh i LOVE the idea of a praise folder! totally nabbing that one…
katie. xx lacoconoire.com
very good list to go by, staying positive is difficult sometimes especially during the winter
Changing my scenery/going for a walking always brightens my mood, as do reading and working out! Working out first thing in the morning always starts my day off right. 😉
<3 Brooklyn | latidoblog.weebly.com
Excellent suggestions. I really like the idea of a praise folder as well as surrounding yourself with positive people like your Mom. To get the most benefit from exercise, I guess the morning is best which is great because that is easier to fit into my schedule!
Great tips! I have been working on my positivity this last year whilst things have been really tough – mainly through journalling, meditation and getting outside more.
I think a change of scenery is what works best for me. Whether it’s just taking my laptop on the back porch or actually going on a vacation. But either way, doing something different will usually break me out of a rut.
Love this post! and you have won a subscriber. Positivity is what the world needs, what every single one of us needs. Thanks for sharing.
Whenever I’m in a funk, my husband says, “let’s go get ice cream.” And we get in the car and go get ice cream – or at least just go for a drive or for a walk. Getting out of the house almost helps me get out of the mind-space I was in. It’s really helpful. These are great tips!
I meditate and do yoga, and many things but gratitude is my key to positivity. Really keeps things in perspective!
Staying positive should be one of our priorities in everyday life.
You mentioned some great ideas in your list – thank you for sharing!
I agree thinking about other people and also doing something for someone besides yourself are both really good ways to help stay positive. Exercise is also a favorite of mine! I usually don’t feel like exercising before I start, but when I’m finished I’m almost always really glad I did it!
Thanks for the great list and reminders!
Great post! Having a positive mindset makes a difference in your overall mood – and although it’s hard at times, these are some great tips!
Love the praise folder idea!! I do something similar on my phone. I take screenshots and save them into a folder to look back on 🙂