9.28.17 25

How To Become A Morning Person (In 5 Steps)

This blog post is in partnership with Macy’s. All opinions are my own.

Andrew jokes that in this house there is a clear morning person and a clear night person. The morning person would be me. I am happy to wake up at 5 AM and take joy in getting tons of things done before noon. Some days I get my entire to do list done before noon and nothing feels better! I do get asked from time to time how I am such a morning person. The truth is I take after my dad. He is a huge morning person. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy a lazy morning every now and then, but at minimum Monday through Friday I am a morning person. So I am going to share how to become a morning person in 5 simple steps!

How To Become A Morning Person (In 5 Steps)

Start the night before: The night before make your to do list, lay out your clothes for the next day (even if it’s workout clothes), make your lunch if you take it to work, you can even get breakfast started (I love overnight oats!). So many things to do the night before to make your morning smooth!

Have a routine: I am beyond a creature of habit. I wake up, check my phone (like 99% of people), wash my face and brush my teeth, get dressed (I work out in the morning so I wait to shower). Then I go in the kitchen and make my coffee (more on that in a bit) and my breakfast. I sit down and while I’m eating breakfast I check and respond to emails, share my blog post for the day etc. That is ALWAYS how I start my day. It really gets me in the mood and happy to have a great day!

Look at it positively: I feel like a lot of people who say they are not morning people say it because of a negative connotation with waking up early. I like to look at it positively. If you wake up early you get a lot done, you don’t have to be rushing around to get to work/school, you have more time for yourself if you are up early. You can get a work out in, unload the dishwasher, start a load of laundry all before most people are even awake for the day! So many benefits!

Enjoy that caffeine: If you have been reading my blog longer than 30 seconds you would know I am a coffee addict. I am not saying that as a bad thing. I love my coffee! I am super into making it at home recently because having to leave to go get coffee before Andrew leaves for work at 6AM was getting ridiculous. In partnering with Macy’s I got to pick out this amazing Nespresso maker! OBSESSED! Seriously, how did I live so long without one? I get so excited to go into the kitchen and make my lattes now! Right now at Macy’s they are having their Macy’s Fall Home Sale!  Between 9/27-10/2. Save 30-50+ Extra! 15%/10% off electrics off with promo code Fall. Nespresso can help you make the best brew with many gourmet brewers you can find the one that fits you. Try the new NESPRESSO EVOLUO MACHINE or KitchenAid KES0504 Nespresso Espresso Maker with Milk Frothier. I chose the Nespresso De’Longhi Vertuo Plus Deluxe Coffee & Espresso Maker. We have absolutely loved it and honestly I am loving all of the pods! If you need help becoming a morning person caffeine will get the job done!

NATIONAL COFFEE DAY is September 29th! For $129.99 get the NESPRESSO EVOLUO MACHINE 30+10% off of Crux electrics. Plus the NEW Cuisinart DCB-10 Automatic Cold-Brew Coffee Maker $99.99 +Extra10% off. So many awesome deals for coffee lovers!

Exercise: I find that the days I exercise early in the morning I am a lot happier. Exercise releases endorphins and endorphins make you happy (thanks Elle Woods). So if you wake up early and work out not only is that one thing you can check off your list but you will for sure be happier and more productive all day long! Then you can enjoy that after work happy hour without the guilt too!

I hope you found my how to become a morning person steps a little helpful!

Tell me, are you more of a morning person or a night person?

1. I’m definitely a night owl. My schedule is so irregular – my work hours are flexible, so I find myself sleeping at 5AM every night. I know it’s not really “healthy” but it’s when my mind’s most creative!

2. Deborah wrote:

Well, I am a morning person. I love the feeling of waking up early and have some me time before I leave to work, I love getting to the office having already take care of some blogging task. You know , starting the day doing something I love.
    But I have to confess that I tend to struggle with the hour I go to bed. I try not to, but I often end up going to sleep past midnight, and that means less than 6 hours of sleep (guess the fact that my boyfriend lives far from me helps with that)

So now, I’m working on changing the habits of the night before, that way I’ll be starting my mornings the best way I know.

Great tips, btw!

Hasta pronto,
    Selenita

Published 9.28.17
  3. My oldest started middle school this year and she has to be at the bus stop before 7 am, so I get up earlier than I used to. I find I do get more done.

Published 9.28.17
  4. I giggled reading this, and yawned a lot because I woke up at 4:30 this morning, and not on purpose LOL! I usually don’t even roll over til 9am! I’m really more of a night person, but I’m always in bed by 10ish even if I just lay there and read or play on facebook. I’m living on beach time now, so I don’t know what I will do when I have to join the real world after I finish my degree. Thanks for sharing! I’m a coffee addict too!

5. Cait wrote:

omg girl i NEED that machine ha! yay national coffee day tomorrow!

Published 9.28.17
  6. I am DEFINITELY NOT A MORNING PERSON! And I dare anyone to try and change that statement! I have tried every method under the sun and probably some others too, to change this. I am a retired registered nurse and for years I had to be at work by 7 a.m. in my right mind (and uniform). I somehow got through the first two hours, then we trained staff went for tea and I had breakfast. I then woke up and sailed through the rest of the day.

So no. Not a morning person. But I wish I could be. D is for Dogged Determination #Build a Better Blog

Published 9.28.17
    • I am so with you Shirley! I love it when I can get up early and get tons of stuff done, but I prefer to sleep until my body tells me to get up.

Published 9.29.17
  7. Nichole wrote:

I am so *not* a morning person, and never have been. Although there are *some* mornings I get up before the rest and enjoy my coffee and some knitting…

8. Krystin wrote:

These tips are so good! I totally agree about starting the night before, I always pick my outfits out the night before, it makes it so much easier to tackle the day!

9. Sam wrote:

Haha! Yes, #1 on my list to becoming a morning person is also a Nespresso! Love this!

10. Brandy wrote:

Before I even read this post my instant thought was “coffee”!!! Haha, I so need that in order to become a morning person, even my kids know not to chat my ear off until I have at least had a little coffee in me. Then I can almost keep up with them 😉

Published 9.28.17
  11. I’m totally a morning person but it wasn’t always the case! Now I just find I’m insanely more productive in the am

12. Erin wrote:

I am trying to become more of a morning person. I know that if I wake up early in the morning and get things done, I feel so much better about myself, but sometimes getting a little extra sleep is nice too. (:

Published 9.28.17
  13. That machine looks great – yay for being able to make coffee at home! I’m actually a mix of both. I can easily be a night person OR a morning person just depending on the day and when I woke up or went to sleep. LOL My friend and I both joke we’re more afternoon people though.

-Lauren

Published 9.28.17
  14. I am a morning person but easily swayed by the night owls in my household. It’s hard to go to bed early when everyone is picking up momentum for the night. Just when I think I have us in a daylight routine the natives rebel with a late night protest.

Published 9.28.17
  15. No matter how much I try, I will never be a morning person. I am SO a night owl. I do, however, start my days with a yummy cup of coffee!

Published 9.28.17
  16. I am also a morning person! I love getting up early before everyone else is up and drinking my cup of coffee and enjoying the calm before the chaos starts!

Published 9.29.17
  17. Jacey wrote:

These are great tips! I’m going to use these for sure. I’m not sure whether I’m a morning or night person, to be honest. When I wake up early, I’m super productive, but I have the HARDEST time getting out of bed. And if there’s no reason for me to get out of bed then I hit the snooze button a million times.

I can stay up late but I’m never productive at night. I’m working on changing my habits and forcing myself to get out of bed but I haven’t been successful lately.

Anyways, I loved this post. It will help me in my quest to wake up early. Thanks for sharing!

Published 9.29.17
  18. courtney wrote:

I really try to be a morning person, I love getting up early and conquering my to do list but it definitely requires a ton of coffee!

Published 9.29.17
  19. I so want to be a morning person some days but I AM A NIGHT OWL through & through! I’ve tried everything to change this but nothing has worked. I am more productive when I can get up when I want to versus when I have to. I’m also 10x more creative at night and in the wee hours of the morning.

Published 9.29.17
  20. You are right, a great morning starts the night before! Great tips. I love that coffee mug — I want one. 🙂

Published 9.29.17
  21. I don’t know that anything could make me a morning person but coffee sure does help. I think my husband would like the NEspresso.

Published 9.29.17
  22. Tami wrote:

I am really wanting to regain my early quiet mornings. Yet, it seems when I wake up early, my son wakes up early! LOL Ugh! I do need to exercise earlier in the day, for sure.

Published 9.30.17
  23. Southern & Style wrote:

I’ve never, ever been a morning teacher-but I’m a firm believer that if you love what you’re getting up for, it makes it easier! So choose to do something you love first thing in the AM and it gives you something to look forward to 🙂

xoxo, SS

Southern and Style

Published 9.30.17
  24. Loved reading this and the replies. I am definitely a night owl although I would love to become a morning person. I find it really hard to get myself motivated in the morning in my own house as my bed is extra comfy, but when I work away from home I can get up really easily at 6am and go to the gym before Breakfast, and yes I feel great………why do it find this so hard in my own house? I also have a mini gym in my home so no excuses….lol! I do however find that when I workout later in the afternoon I burn more as my energy levels are higher. I might try your morning routine see how I get on. Thank you for sharing. x

Published 10.2.17