We love to travel and try to travel as often as we can. Even if it’s a short weekend trip. Obviously with a two year old who’s in school and another baby on the way we won’t be doing as much travel this year. However, I wanted to share an update on my post travel routine for 2019. The last time I shared one was over a year ago and it’s a bit different.
Post Travel Routine
- First of all I think it’s important to have a great post travel routine. This way you are getting back on track as quickly as possible. The first thing we try to do is travel back on a Saturday. This gives us Sunday to get things done before a new week starts. We also try to travel back as early in the day as possible. We’ve discovered that when we travel back later in the day the day is almost wasted because most times you are just getting ready for the airport anyways.
- Next thing is to unpack ASAP! I am one who can’t look at suitcases. It’s just not good for my OCD/anxiety. So I will usually unpack us and start laundry once our suitcases are in the house. We almost always put all the dirty stuff in one suitcase and clean stuff/toiletries in another when we are traveling home which makes it a lot easier.
- Next is to grocery shop. Andrew will usually head to the grocery store first thing the next morning or if there is time that same day. Stocking the fridge with clean, healthy ingredients is key to get you back on track.
- Meal prepping usually follows by making tons of chicken, hard boiled eggs, veggie bags, and breakfast muffins for the week. We also meal plan before we even grocery shop.
- Next is a workout. I will usually not work out the day we travel but I will always work out the next day. Either a barre class or treadmill workout/weights.
- Detox the skin: With travel in cars or on planes your skin can get clogged and gross. I will usually have a few makeup free days as well as doing an exfoliant and a face mask or two. My two favorites are the Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask (perfect to have on in flight) and the Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask. I have found these are the two best suited for my skin post travel.
- To do lists: Making a to do list for the next day, and the following week always sets my mind at ease and makes me feel more organized!
- Sleep: Getting a good night’s sleep right when you get home is great. That way you start the next new day energized and ready to tackle everything!
I hope my tips for a post travel routine gave you some guidance as to how to cultivate one for yourself!
What is your post travel routine?
I’m the worst at unpacking after a vacation! (Come to think of it, I’m bad at packing FOR the vacation already, haha) I’m flying to Japan this Saturday so I definitely need to establish a routine for it beforehand. I’m going to meal prep for sure! 😀
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
Omg I need to unpack right away too!
Your routine sounds very similar to mine! We try to get home on Saturday to have Sunday at home as well. I unpack immediately. The only exception is when we drive home from my parent’s house which is a 17-hour drive and get home around 9 pm. But the first thing I do the next morning is unpack and start laundry!
I hate unpacking when I get first get home but I do it any one. I think I just want to put everything back in its place. I also like to grocery shop before I arrive back home. Thanks for the tips.
These are great tips! I always struggle working out and meal prepping once I get back but I do think it’s the secret to getting into your routine!
Now my daughter is done with College, my husband and I are going to resume our travel habit. To me traveling keeps us growing as we learn about new places, new culture.
This is a really helpful list. It’s amazing how fast your body and routine can get way off track when you’re traveling. My husband and I often write out our meal plan for the week and grocery list when we’re en route to home either on the plane or in the car. It’s so helpful to be able to hit the ground running when you return.
I am going to share to my sister who is right now traveling from the US to Japan to visit me for 2 months.
This is awesome. I love the idea of a post jet-lag mask. That would be awesome for rejuvenation.
I love having a post-travel list! I have to immediately unpack when I get home. It drives me crazy to keep stuff in luggage.
These are great tips. After coming home from vacation, I dread about the work to be done. And buying food. I agree these all are essential steps, once you come back home after Vacation.
What an awesome organized list…I can be more of a do it in the moment type of girl but these tips are awesome!
There are some really good tips here for sure. Especially the one about detoxing the skin xx
Many of these things are also on my post travel list. But I confess, I never thought of it as a “routine” before – I like that!
Great tips. Reluctance for packing is one of my excuses not to travel
although I want more travel in my life 😉