12.17.15 28

The Truth About Sponsored Posts

For bloggers who blog with the intention to make money from their blogs, sponsored posts are an amazing thing. You get to work with brands you love, try new products you may not have tried otherwise, and meet amazing people. There are definite downsides as well. I wanted to address the truth about sponsored posts and some of the pros and cons. Not only for bloggers who may not have had a ton of experience with sponsored posts, but also for readers who may be curious as to why bloggers do them and why at certain times of year we do more of them.

The-Truth-About-Sponsored-Posts

Pros of Sponsored Posts:

The first obvious pro would be that you are making money. You are contributing to the finances of your home and you have a very flexible schedule. I know for me I love being able to work from home and blog and also be able to cook dinner, take care of errands, clean, etc. I love that I can do both.

Another pro would be working with amazing brands. I have gotten to work with brands I already use and love, and I have been introduced to new brands that have become regulars in our house. I have also gotten to go to great events and been given amazing opportunities that I wouldn’t have.

The biggest pro for me though is that I am doing what I love. I love blogging, and sponsored posts help me be able to do what I love and make money from it. I do not worry about when and if I will have enough time to write a post because it is my full time job.

Cons of Sponsored Posts:

The biggest con of sponsored posts is when deadlines overlap. Not because I do not have enough time to write the posts (I schedule pretty well). But because I know sometimes it can be annoying to readers to have many sponsored posts back to back. But here’s the thing, sometimes during the year there are points where blogs may have more sponsored posts than normal. The holidays are a great example. Brands are in a final push for the year and they work with bloggers to get their product names out there. I know it can seem annoying if you aren’t a blogger or if you aren’t a blogger who does sponsored posts, but remember that at your job you have deadlines and due dates. So do bloggers. Sometimes those deadlines overlap and we have several sponsored posts a week for a few weeks. Know this: most of us try to balance it as best as we can. We try to even out sponsored posts with non sponsored posts. I know for me I try to make my sponsored posts not entirely focused on the brand but make the brand a part of my post. It doesn’t always happen. Some weeks you may read a blog with six sponsored posts and one non-sponsored post. The next week may be the same. But the next month they may have 25 non-sponsored post and one sponsored post. It evens out over time.

I wanted to share a few things some other bloggers said in regards to sponsored posts:
Blogging can be like a job and sponsored posts help us get something out of our hard work. Plus, working with brands is fun and gets your blog showcased a lot more.Can seem kind of fake. I’ve seen big bloggers just do all kinds of sponsored posts that don’t even relate to what their blog is about so it makes me wonder their motives. –Adriana

Sometimes we really do love the product, and getting paid to talk about it is just an added bonus! (and sometimes, when we talk about a product we love, it’s NOT because we’re getting paid to!) –Betsy

I do sponsored posts because I genuinely love the products I feature and I want my readers to know about them! Plus, it doesn’t hurt to get paid smile emoticon Honestly, though, I really only post about things I would write about even without compensation. The cons, of course, are that sometimes the posts can seem forced and readers seem to think sponsored posts are bloggers ‘selling out’. –Lisa

For me, I have been blogging for forever and love it, but I need to find a job. Why not do something that I love and get paid for it. I honestly feel like it has stretched me in ways that I otherwise may not be challenged in. I recently did a sponsored post for Betty Crocker and it was about spreading cheer. Because of this post, we made cookies, took them to firefighters and thanked them for what they do. I am always thankful for our firefighters, but this opportunity made me get out there and tell them. I was paid for it, but in the end, I gained more from the experience than the payment I will receive. –Lauren

Remember though that most bloggers (myself included) only work with brands we love. We only align ourselves with products and services we trust, believe in, and use. But it is a business. It is how a lot of us make money. I have seen a lot of hate this time of year from people annoyed by sponsored posts. You have your right to your opinion. But try to understand that bloggers are doing the best they can.

1. This was a great read. I totally get it. And I agree with you on all points!

2. Brittany Collier wrote:

Great post!!! I haven’t done a lot of sponsored posts but it’s really flattering when a company reaches out to you and wants to collab!!

3. sara wrote:

Truth!! Awesome post Neely. I also only work with brands I love and that I feel fit with my lifestyle. I am so happy that I met you this year and I hope you have a wonderful 2016.

Published 12.17.15
  4. Great post! Thanks for your candor!

Published 12.17.15
  5. While I agree with everything you said, and I understand how deadlines overlap, and I do sponsored posts myself, I still think that bloggers need to remember the reason that they are successful. It is not because of the brands that are paying them money. It is because of the readers who make the brands want to pay us money. I think by having too many sponsored posts in a week or a month, or whatever that line is, we risk losing the very readers that make us successful. Just food for thought.

6. Shannon wrote:

Great post (as always)! I think as long as you share your true feelings about a company that is sponsoring you then there shouldn’t be any hesitation. Blogging is HARD work and I think it’s important that we get rewarded for our time we put into it!

Shannon
    Clothes & Quotes

7. Lindsay wrote:

This is an awesome post Neely! Your honesty is spot on in it!

8. Hil wrote:

I’d love to get some sponsored posts. I don’t mind reading them when the post is about something interesting and that is just slipped in there. A big sales pitch though is super annoying.

I would love it if you came to link up at our party tomorrow night:

It’s a link party and pin-up party, two parties in one! All posts will get pinned to our group pinterest board.

9. Branson wrote:

I completely agree with all of this. The deadline thing is tough, but if you think about it from a business perspective it totally makes sense that the holidays will be busy for things like that!

10. Charlotte wrote:

I <3 this so much. And you're absolutely right… I think it's important for bloggers to work with sponsors they believe in/can endorse wholeheartedly, and readers have to know that, like you said–we treat this as a business. And that means there's a wonderful overlap when it comes to doing what we love while also getting paid to do it. How else are we supposed to bring great content?

Thanks so much for this 🙂

11. Libby wrote:

I really appreciated this post! I am starting to get more offers from sponsors and am trying to really learn the pros and cons so I know how to schedule and book these myself.

12. Jenny wrote:

I agree on all fronts. The only thing I will not do is take a sponsored post just for the money. I usually only do it if its brands I truly love or ones that fit my blog aesthetic.

xoxo, Jenny

Published 12.17.15
  13. Well said! It’s hard sometimes as a blogger to make sure sponsored content is RELEVANT and REAL, but I really am all about honesty on my blog. I was recently sent a product to review (unpaid aside from the free product to try) and while the product fits into what I (mostly) deem “healthy” when it came down to it, I didn’t really like it and wasn’t comfortable writing the review or hosting the giveaway. I emailed my contact and let them know my feelings. I told them I would write the review but I needed them to know it would include what I liked and what I didn’t as it’s important to me to never be fake with my readers; that’s how I earn their trust and keep them coming back!

Published 12.17.15
  14. Thanks for sharing. I have stopped reading blogs I used to love because they became commercials instead of blogs, and the popups suck! Some bloggers do them well, only do ads within their niche and blend them within posts. Many do not, I’m sorry to say

15. Emily wrote:

I’ve only done a few sponsored post so far. I really would like to do more for the money but I don’t really want my blog to be littered with them. It’s a great way to get started though and that’s where I’m at!

16. Bri wrote:

Very nice post. As a blogger, sponsored posts that are done well and weave the products into the post and brand are the best and ones I actually enjoy reading.

17. Tiffany wrote:

You’ve done a great job of laying it all out there. I try to keep my content stable with sponsored posts interwoven throughout. I am disappointed when my favorite blogs only do sponsored posts now. I started reading because I like the writing style. I certainly don’t mind sponsored posts but if it’s 80/20 that’s a huge problem. I think you’ve outlined some great points here.

Published 12.17.15
  18. YES! Nail it on the scheduling… I’ve been very overwhelmed by that at times but I get through it and after I catch my breath, I’m excited it pushed me to do what may seem impossible at the time! It’s all worth it! I’m working hard to keep blogging as my job so I can be that person in life who loves what they do! 😀 Great Post!

19. Paula wrote:

Lots to think about. We haven’t done any sponsored posts yet but hoping to get a few in the new year.

Published 12.18.15
  20. Shann Eva wrote:

Great post. It explains sponsored posts really well. I only work with brands that I love or that I try first, and then love. Honestly is key.

Published 12.18.15
  21. It’s so true that there’s a lot of sponsored stuff right now! Bloggers should find a balance and also better explain to readers why they do sponsored posts. Thanks for including me!

Published 12.18.15
  22. Chel wrote:

Totally now understand why there are a lot of sponsored posts going on this month. Thanks for the explanation. It really opened my eyes up and I hope some time soon I can dabble with working with brands. Cheers!

Published 12.18.15
  23. Thank you for the tips. I realized I read a lot of sponsored posts during the holidays and wondered why. This explained it all and will be helpful when I start doing sponsored posts on my blog.

Published 12.18.15
  24. Rebecca wrote:

My biggest thing with sponsored posts lately is that they rush me so much to get them done but start making excuses after it’s published on why they cannot pay me. I am still waiting on payments from a client that was done back in October and I email them every week and still keep getting the run around on just give them more time to pay me. It’s getting very annoying and turning me so much away from sponsored posts ….

Published 12.19.15
    • Ally wrote:

Glad you brought that up. I am waiting for a paypal payment to go through. I have been wondering if I should ask for payment before creating the content.

Published 12.28.15
  25. Jessica wrote:

This is such an amazing post, so honest!

Published 12.21.15
  26. Thank you for this article. After 4 months, my blog is just starting to get noticed. (Usually 50-100 page views a day.) I have an arts and crafts blog and I am so looking forward to getting some supplies for free (well I guess not for free, but you know.)
    I have just a couple of questions; how busy does your site have to be before a company will sponsor you? And what does the general public think about affiliate advertising at the end of a post?
    Thanks so much, Heather