12.5.18 19

Asheville Travel Guide (Kid Friendly)

In mid-November Andrew, Liam, and I went to Asheville, NC with our best friends and their little boy who is about a year younger than Liam. Andrew, Liam, and I had never been, and while our friends had, this was a trip that needed to be a bit more kid friendly. So while there may be a TON of Asheville Travel Guide posts out there, this one is more kid friendly.

Asheville Travel Guide (Kid Friendly)

Where To Stay: We rented a house about 25 mins away from Asheville in Black Mountain. I think this is a better option when traveling with kids than a hotel. We had a big kitchen and tons of space for the kids to play. It had a game room with an air hockey table, foosball table, and a closet full of board games. There was always stuff to do.

Where To Eat: We were able to experience some amazing restaurants. We went to Duck Donuts in Asheville, Tupelo Honey, Corner Kitchen, and Fresh Woodfired Pizza. We sadly did not make it to any breweries #parentlife but we got a taste of Asheville and can’t wait to go back and try more places!

What To Do: The first thing you MUST do is go to the Biltmore Estate! We lucked out and it had just been decorated for Christmas so not only did we get to see the historic property we got to see it at the most wonderful time of the year. It was hard to narrow photos down because all the decor was stunning. We also shopping around downtown and walked around to see the street performers and sites. We went to breakfast one morning in Biltmore Village and we went to those shops as well. We found the cutest Christmas shop and couldn’t resist getting an ornament. One of the days we were there it stormed really bad, so we had a cabin day of playing board games, watching movies, and enjoying the air hockey and foosball table our cabin came with! I also highly suggest driving the mountain ranges if you can. Absolutely stunning!

How To Get Around: We worked with Toyota and got to drive a Sequoa which was PERFECT for our trip! With 4 adults and 2 babies plus strollers, carseats, etc we needed space and this was the best solution! We had the babies in the captains seats and my friend, Suzanne and I in the very back while the guys sat up front. We also were able to fit 2 strollers in the way back as well as diaper bags, carriers, bags from shopping and more. There were tons of spaces to put cups/coffee/sippy cups as well as the ability to put a tablet up for the kiddos to watch when they got cranky! The car was 4-wheel drive and we had no idea how handy that would be. Our house was up in the mountains and the 4-wheel drive was the ONLY way we could have made it up and down on the rough terrain.

(Liam was also clearly a fan and don’t worry the car was NOT on)

We loved our trip and feel like it was a great family vacation spot! I can’t wait to go back and explore more restaurants and sites!

Make sure to check out my posts on toddler/baby travel tips as well!

1. Asheville looks like such a lovely place to stay! Fantastic weekend getaway for the whole family. 🙂

Published 12.5.18
  2. monali wrote:

Thanks for posting the useful information.

Published 12.5.18
  3. Rachel wrote:

I never would have thought to take kids to Biltmore but it looks like fun. I got a hat at the little shops on my honeymoon and my hubs and I have always talked about going back. This is great and would be fun with kiddos too! There are also some fun waterfalls in the area.

Published 12.5.18
  4. Carla wrote:

Firstly the location you stayed at is incredible – a true dream come true! And the estate you visited looks like something from an European travel brochure – just stunning! I am definitely putting this on my wish list to visit

Published 12.5.18
  5. chelsea w wrote:

What a great post! When I went to college near Asheville, I loved to go to Biltmore and I loved visiting Black Mountain as well. I think it had a lot of great places to visit. I’m glad you had a good time!

Published 12.5.18
  6. Scott wrote:

We’ve been through Asheville many times as we have relatives in Greensboro and Elkin. Such a lovely area to travel!

Published 12.5.18

I’ve never been to that area in NC either. We love traveling with our kids who are 3 and 5 right now and also find renting a house is usually so much easier. We went to the Florida panhandle for Thanksgiving with my parents and rented a 3 bedroom condo which was perfect. We need to take the boys to see snow again, and it looks like they are about to get a lot in NC!

Published 12.5.18
  8. Such a great trip, by the looks! We’ve never rented a house per se, but we’ve done this with condos and I’ve been tempted to try the house route sometime, so glad to hear that it worked well for you on this trip!

Published 12.5.18
  9. This is such a great post! I’ve never been to Asheville and would love to go one day. I hear ya about needing a 4×4 to get to and from steep places. Your rental looked amazing. Thanks again for sharing your trip with all of us.

Published 12.5.18
  10. Ally Jones wrote:

Asheville looks beautiful. I have heard that it is beautiful from so many people. I could definitely see myself visiting soon.

Published 12.5.18
  11. Joshua wrote:

That woodsy cabin looks really fun and relaxing. I imagine it be a great place to enjoy a bit of quite time.

Published 12.5.18
  12. Oh wow how beautiful is this place. Just wish it was nearer to me. I love your piccys to btw xx

Published 12.6.18
  13. The Biltmore Estate looks fantastic! I had no idea there were estates like that outside of England and would love to visit!

Published 12.6.18
  14. Denise C wrote:

We haven’t been to Asheville, but it’s a place I’ve wanted to visit since way before we had kids. Now that we have two, I’d still like to go, but we’d definitely include some breweries!

Published 12.6.18
  15. Jack branson wrote:

It seems you had fun trip and I agree with you on the house because hotels may not be as comfy as house and be able to get a air outsite the house.

Published 12.6.18
  16. I just wish we could visit beautiful places such as this. Seeing greens is enough for it to be called a relaxing vacation.

Published 12.6.18
  17. Patranila wrote:

That house you stayed in is darling. It’s a perfect woodsy getaway pad!

Published 12.6.18
  18. Becca Wilson wrote:

Asheville is totally one of my favorite places. It is so gorgeous – especially this time of the year. This is a great guide for how to visit even with kids!

Published 12.7.18
  19. What a fun time. I loved seeing that huge Christmas tree! I always take pictures of decorated trees I find during the Holiday season. Your getaway looked relaxing!

Published 12.7.18