In May of 2010, I really started focusing on my overall health and a big portion of that was fitness. I had always belonged to gyms but never really knew what to do and kind of just bobbed around doing different things and having no plan. I’m not sure what clicked for me in 2010, maybe reading a lot of healthy living blogs and really feeling like I wasn’t being as healthy as I could be gave me that motivation. I want to share my current fitness routine because I get so many questions asking me what I do and also how I do it with 2 little kids and working on the blog full time.
Current Fitness Routine and How I Get It Done
In full transparency I very lucky that Andrew also works from home and that allows me the time to be able to work out, go for walks, etc without having to take my kids all the time. Liam is also in school 5 days a week from 8-3. Plus, I work for myself so taking a midday workout class (in non-pandemic times) isn’t hard. So I do have a lot more flexibility than a lot of people.
I will also say I am an extremely determined and motivated person. I am my biggest competitor with myself. I am not someone who needs other people to work out with or a trainer to get it done. I set a lot of fitness-related goals for myself and I love meeting them.
- Daily: Every day I walk 10K steps either by myself when I can (around the house, outside) or 3-5 days a week I go for a walk with one of my best friends who lives nearby. We go at 6 AM before kids are awake which helps a ton. It also gives me some adult time.
- 6 days a week I do other cardio either the elliptical or I run on the treadmill.
- 5 days a week I do weights at the gym either arms/abs or legs/butt
- 1 day a week I do a barre workout at home
- 1 day a week I try to do a slow yoga flow at home to stretch and relax
- I try for Sundays to be my active rest day which for me means 10k steps and usually stretching or yoga flow
All in all, I probably spend about 90 minutes a day doing some sort of fitness related activity. It’s what I enjoy and helps my anxiety a lot. I will say I did not start going back to the gym until September. Before that, I just walked and did barre at home every day. My gym is very small and most of the time when I am there it’s me and one 80 year old man working out. We keep our distance haha.
I think it’s important to be active and really want to instill that in my kids as well.
Do you have a fitness routine?