I started using Great Lakes Collagen Hydroslate right after Liam was born. So I have been using it a little over 4 years. Through that time I have seen a lot of benefits of using collagen that I feel like people may not know about. I have been a huge supporter of Collagen peptides and I am so excited to partner with them today to share five benefits of using collagen as well as my experience with it. I live a really active life with two small kids and I also love to workout so having Collagen in my life is very important!
Five Benefits Of Using Collagen
Collagen fun facts:
- Collagen Hydrolysate is pure collagen protein powder. It is the same protein naturally found in your bones, skin and cartilage.
- The human body is made up of 40% connective tissue and 75% of connective tissue is made up of collagen! Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate has a high concentration of the amino acids Glycine and Lysine to support the building and repair of connective tissue and cell function.
- As I go into more detail below it also helps you hair, skin, and nails as well as your digestion, and fitness recovery time!
Five Benefits of Using Collagen from MY experience:
- Postpartum hair issues: I elaborate more on this below but the benefits postpartum are incredible. Obviously check with your doctor as far as breastfeeding etc. For me I noticed how much it supported my hair health, and just in general me feeling healthier as a new mom and then of course a mom of two.
- Nail benefits: Before I started using collagen my nails would NOT grow. It’s something I dealt with my entire life. I could never understand why everyone had these amazing long nails and mine just didn’t grow. Then I started using collagen and sure it could have been a huge coincidence but my nails have never looked better.
- Skin benefits: Collagen supports healthy skin and who doesn’t want to have healthy skin?? Make sure you are still washing your makeup off and drinking lots of water too!
- Workout recovery: As you all know if you’ve read my blog for a while I love to workout. It’s a huge part of my day and something I love to do every day. But, when you workout a lot your joints and muscles can get super sore. Collagen supports my post- workout recovery, when completing a tough workout I make sure to consume collagen to help improve my recovery time
- Tummy troubles: Very few things as bad as having bad digestion!
My overall experience:
Four years ago when I started using Great Lakes Collagen I had been reading about benefits of Collagen peptides all over. Having just had my first baby and really wanting to be as healthy as possible I figured I would give it a try. I noticed a difference pretty quickly. I always had issues with my nails (they were always short!) I could not get them to grow longer and over the first few months of using collagen peptides I noticed that my nails were growing a ton. As I lost hair postpartum (completely normal) I noticed that mine was not quite as bad as others. I also noticed that it grew back really quickly. Now being 16 months out from my last baby being born my hair is the healthiest it’s ever been. I also noticed my muscles don’t get as sore from workouts as they used to pre collagen.
How to make the perfect collagen latte:
For me, the easiest way is mixing it into my coffee each morning. I love that if I grab coffee on the go Great Lakes Co. makes these amazing to go packets. They are also perfect for travel and each one, is one serving. Really makes things easy if you are a dedicated Collagen taker like me!
So the best thing about each morning in my opinion is that first latte. If you want to make your latte extra fancy make it a collagen latte. Once you brew your espresso, froth your milk and pour it over the espresso as normal. Then scoop in your collagen and stir! Sip sip hooray!
If you are not a coffee drinker I have also added it to smoothies! It really gives the smoothies a little more thickness which I like too!
I hope this post really educated you on the benefits of using collagen and why it’s something I have stuck with for over four years now.
While this post is sponsored by Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen, it is a product I have used daily for 4 plus years, and one I love and purchase constantly with my own money. Thank you so much for supporting the brands I love!
**I am not a doctor and this is purely based on my own research and my experience with collagen. Please consult your own doctor if you have any questions about taking collagen.
Thank you for this post. I wish I knew this postpartum when I was losing hair. Will defenetly try for workout remedy!
I used to be religious about daily collagen in my morning coffee. I really need to get back into the habit! There are so many added benefits!
A couple of years ago, I learn a lot of the benefits of collagen. Its amazing. I take some herbs that help with collagen and my hair is nice and healthy and face still has a baby face. Collagen really is great.
Oh, I could easily add this to my smoothie! I just recently found out about a few allergies I have, so I’ve been trying to find ways to change my typical smoothie (that was full of dairy, which I now know I’m allergic to). I’ll have to check out the ingredients on the collagen. I’ve heard it’s good for post-workout, which would be great for me, too.
I just started drinking collagen. We bought a big tub at Costco on a whim because it was on sale. So far so good!
I drank smoothies with collagen in them for ages but it got really expensive. Eventually, I’d like to add this supplement back into my daily diet. I certainly see a difference with my hair, skin, and nails when I utilize it!
People tend to forget how collagen affects digestion. Breaking your food down is an important benefit.
I need to give this a try. I’ve been using collagen every day, and it really makes my joints feel good. This sounds like great stuff.
I can’t wait to try this! I just finished off some collagen that I was using. It was okay, but it wasn’t great.
I’ve used collagen for years. It’s so good for the joints, hair, and skin. I’ll have to try this.
I love using vegan collagen, and I agree that it is helpful in so many ways!
I’m using collagen for quite some time now and I can only say it done an amazing job for my skin. Thank you for sharing your tips and review.
I have never heard of Collagen Hydrolysate. Derived from bovine, marine animals, and chicken, this supplement is not suitable for vegetarians and vegans like me. However, it is good that Collagen Hydrolysate has some benefits and can help those in need.
I’ve been considering incorporating collagen into my diet as of recently, glad to hear you’ve seen a lot of benefits from it. I love the idea of mixing it into a latte as well, will have to give it a try!
I have been considering adding collagen to my regimen to help support my hair health. I will definitely check with my doctor first. Thanks for the tips on this product!
This collagen coffee combo seems like the perfect way to start the day! I can’t wait to try out the latte.
Thats great collagen powder ! I m losing hair everyday i guess this gonna help me!
As soon as I read that collagen helps post-workout recovery. I know this is something I need to try.
As soon as I read that collagen helps post-workout recovery. I know this is something I need to try out.
I have been taking collagen peptides for a while now, and I swear on all its benefits. It has helped me with my postpartum hair issues a lot!
I love the packaging. I need collagen in my life. Need to try this soon.
I have a connective tissue disorder called vEDS, so my body produces faulty collagen, no matter how much I would take, which sucks. And yes, as you mentioned that stuff is needed in every aspect of our bodies, which means for someone with a disease like mine, everything is effective. So if anyone does not have what I have, I can only say – take collagen, because it is needed for everything from heart function to keeping your joints in place. Blessings!
Oh wow I am so sorry to hear that! I had not heard of that before. Sending love!
I really need to get on the collagen train too – I have been working out a lot lately and collagen would be great with my post-workout smoothies!
Thank you for this post, it was a good read. I recently starting taking collagen as well and can already see a huge difference in my skin, especially. I also do think that it has helped my overall health. I didn’t think about adding it to my morning coffee, but I will give it a try 🙂