I do a lot of posts on things I do to live a healthy life and why I do them. But I get a lot of questions about how to create those healthy habits. Today I want to share with you how to create healthy habits in a realistic way.
How To Create Healthy Habits
- Set goals: Before you create healthy habits you have to decide WHICH healthy habits you want to have. Do you want to eat healthy foods more? Do you want to exercise 4-5 days a week? Do you want to drink more water? Etc. So decide what your personal healthy habit goals are.
- Be realistic: You can’t DO ALL THE THINGS so be realistic. Don’t say my goal is to lose 50 lbs in 2 months. Maybe say I want to lose 50 lbs and I am going to be healthy and do that in however long it takes. I lost 75 lbs after Liam was born. It took me nearly a year. Don’t force yourself to go to the gym everyday if you haven’t ever worked out before. Just ease into it.
- Don’t do everything at once: You can’t do all the things right away. Maybe focus on 1-2 healthy habits at a time.
- Start slow: If you want to workout more just start by going. Then go the next day or maybe for a beginner go every other day. Do a little cardio and experiment with weights. Or try a new class. Maybe you will find that Zumba or Barre is your thing and you will want to go everyday! If you want to drink more water see what you naturally drink in a day and gradually increase it.
- Introduce One Thing At A Time: Like I have said don’t try doing everything at once. I remember when I started my healthy living journey I stared by switching out a lot of crap processed foods for whole foods. Then I started working out more, then I started drinking green smoothies. Then I got really into my water intake. Then I got into meditating just this past year. It can’t all happen at once.
- Decide what makes sense for you: Not everything will make sense for YOUR life. So you have to decide what makes sense for you, what you want etc. This goes back to goals.
- Prioritize Healthy Living: If you want to create healthy habits you have to prioritize it. You have to prioritize a healthy life. That may mean scheduling workouts, not going out and eating a huge dinner with friends, not having that drink every night etc. You have to prioritize the things you want.
I would love to know how you create healthy habits?