3.14.18 28

Top Baby Items You Need The First Month

I remember when we had Liam I had no idea what we really NEEDED when we got home from the hospital. Spoiler alert: it’s not as much as you think. After talking to a ton of my mom friends we agree that the amount of stuff you THINK you need and what you REALLY need are so different. So today I am sharing the top baby items you need the first month so for any of you first time mama’s out there you don’t over buy!

Top Baby Items You Need The First Month

Clothes: Liam tends to be warmer than most babies and when he was swaddled we would put him in these little side snap t-shirts. He slept in these for the first 4 months! They are super comfy and really easy to put on and off and for diaper changes. Every baby needs socks! Make sure to have tons on hand. Any kind of ZIP UP footed pajamas are a must. You may have these grand hopes of cute outfits but lets be real. Your kid will wear jammies the first month or two exclusively. Don’t mess with buttons. The first month we were home we used Swaddle Me brand swaddles. They velcro and are very easy to figure out and keep baby very snug! Before Liam learned to pull his arms out these were our favorites.

Around The House: We LOVED the DockATot and while we never let Liam sleep in it over night he did take a lot of naps in it and played in it during the day the first month. I have never come across a baby who didn’t love the Rock N Play and I am so glad we had this. Liam loved it and took his best stretches of daytime sleep in it those first months.

Essentials: The top essential is for sure diapers and wipes. We had Pampers swaddlers on hand as well as Pampers sensitive wipes. Highly recommend both!  Pacifiers are for sure an essential. Liam still at one year only likes the Soothie ones from Philips Avent and honestly that’s fine with us.  You need a good stroller/car seat system. We still love the Uppababy and even though Liam has grown out of the infant car seat, we love the stroller! Bottle feeding (if you choose that) can be messy because babies dribble a lot. We loved these Burts Bees pullover bibs. We used them until Liam was maybe 8 months they are super soft and don’t have velcro! To go along with those the burp cloths we used were the Adan and Anais burpy bib ones and we still use them!

There are other things like bottles, a bathtub, a crib, a bassinet, and more that you need, but these items are the ones we used most the first month. Don’t think you need every new product, toy, and book out there. Babies don’t require much those first weeks.

What items did you use a ton the first month?

1. I’m not a Mum, but I keep hearing you need SO many things! I guess it makes a lot of sense to pare down to the essentials you’ll need!

2. Krysten wrote:

One of my favorite co-workers is just about the give birth to her 2nd baby… I may need to do a little last minute shopping! Thanks Neely!

3. Shelby wrote:

Omg you don’t even know how much I appreciate this list! Hubs and I are planning on a baby soon, and it’s lists like this that takes some of the anxiety away.

4. Wendy wrote:

I wish we had some of these cool things when my kids were babies; especially that dock a tot thing! It’s good for new parents to have a list like this! I also had no clue what I should have and ended up getting some things I didn’t even use much.

5. Nakeya wrote:

I love those side snap shirts. They make it so much easier to get the baby dressed. And I always put my newborns in Pampers Swaddlers. Love those.

6. Katie wrote:

So helpful! Easily one of my biggest questions right now is what the heck do we actually need, so I very much appreciate this!

7. Jeanette wrote:

A baby lounger or how what it called is a gold worth, cause we used it all the time for your youngest. So glad I got one, with my older kids I didn’t even know about a thing like that 🙂

8. Great tips! I have quite a few friends pregnant right now. 🙂

9. Kristin wrote:

I found that we needed fewer clothes than we had. Onesies and cozy items, but no jeans and cute shoes and dozens of outfits. But we needed more diapers than we thought! 😂

10. Tracie wrote:

Oh I remember those first few months with my babies. They had so much stuff they didn’t even use. I miss those days but I am glad they are adults at the same time.

Published 3.14.18
  11. I used sleep sacks with my babies, and nursing moms will need a really good pump! Followed you on Pinterest!

Published 3.14.18
  12. Definitely a yes with everything you have on the list! Those are all what I needed during the first month of my baby, it really does help a lot to be prepared sooner than ever.

13. Scott wrote:

In the first month you are going to need a lot more Pampers than that. A LOT more!

14. leila wrote:

Such a useful post! All essentials in one place. Thanks for sharing.

15. Christina wrote:

This is going to come in SO handy as we are expecting our first!

16. Jeanine wrote:

I’ve for sure been stocking up on diapers and wipes. These are some great ideas. I’m all ready for baby that’s coming in 2 weeks but I know so many who need the help!

17. Julie wrote:

One thing that I had with my third daughter was the fisher price deluxe take along swing and seat. She loved the swing and I liked that the swing didn’t take up a lot of space.

Published 3.14.18
  18. Good, absorbent bibs are definitely underrated. Always love good sleeper recommendations too!

-Jennifer

19. Shannon wrote:

Those swaddlers are amazing! This is a great list!

Published 3.14.18
  20. Great list!! We absolutely loved our HALO bassinest and dockatot!

Published 3.14.18
  21. Such a great list!! We loved velcro swaddles with our little one. She’s a super squirmy child (even now at 9 months) so the regular muslin swaddle blankets would come undone super easily. We were also huge fans of our DockATot in the first few months as well.

22. brianne wrote:

What a great list of baby gear. I wish this was around when I had my kids. I remember getting way too many things I didn’t need!

23. Rosey wrote:

Definitely diapers and wipes!! I got so many things I really didn’t need at my baby shower. The things I really did need though, I REALLY DID NEED. This list about covers it too!

Published 3.14.18
  24. We love our uppa baby! My little babe didn’t like the rock and play , but loved his rockaroo swing!!

25. Peter wrote:

GReat tips! Baby 8 is around the corner and we’ve been stocking like mad. Even when you think you have enough, you always need more.

Published 3.15.18
  26. These are definitely items that all new moms need. This is a great resource because I remember I didn’t know a lot of things that I needed when I had my first baby.

Published 3.15.18
  27. Clair wrote:

Great list! We pretty much stocked up on the exact same things, minus the Dockatot. I wish I had known about it sooner when my youngest could have used it. I have heard wonderful things about it!

Published 3.15.18