I love to travel, both with and without my kids. I think travel is so important for everyone who is able to do it. I wish I had traveled more in my earlier 20s but I am so grateful that as an adult I am able to do the travel I can do and also grateful that I can take my kids on trips. I do want to share some things to do before and after a trip so traveling is as seamless as possible and you don’t come back from a trip stressed out.
Things To Do Before And After A Trip
Things to do before a trip:
There are a lot of things I like to do before a trip to both prep for the actual trip and also have my house in order so I don’t come back to a mess. I remember in my early 20’s when I lived alone, I left for a week-long trip and came back to my tornado of an apartment because I didn’t clean before. It was a late-night flight and NOTHING is worse than coming home from a trip to a mess. So here is what I do before I leave:
- Change everyone’s sheets
- Do all laundry and towels
- Empty the fridge of anything that may spoil
- Run the dishwasher
- Empty all the trash
- Dust and vacuum
- Put things in their place (kids toys, our stuff etc)
- Ask a friend or neighbor to grab mail and packages
- Get ahead on any work/blog posts so that I have nothing hanging over me when I get back
- Put a travel alert on my credit card
Things to do after a trip:
When I get home from a trip I am someone that likes to hit the ground running. Recently we came back from Florida and a 12+ hour car ride and I could not wait to get home, get groceries, and get everything in order.
- Unpack ASAP (don’t let it wait)
- Get things back where they go
- Do laundry from the trip if you have it (If there is an option to do laundry when we travel we always do)
- Grocery shop
- Make a green smoothie (start detoxing your body from all the indulgences)
- Get back on schedule ASAP
- Do a workout (get your body moving from being sedentary (flight or long car trip)
- Take a LONG shower (do all the shower things, face mask, deep cleanse etc)
- Get a good night’s sleep!
I find that the quicker I get back into a routine the better. I know some people like to give themselves a day or two and that’s totally a personal preference thing. Recently I did a poll on my Instagram stories about this and it was so interesting to hear what people are like before and after travel and how different people are.
I would love to know what you do before and after travel and what kind of traveler you are!