I feel like stress is such a common word we hear. Seriously, find ONE person who isn’t stressed. It’s just part of our normal life now, right? I know for me working full time, being a full-time mom and wife, volunteering at Liam’s school a lot, and trying to keep up with friends, and family, not to mention myself can be stressful. Add in a toddler who gets sick or a sick husband or any sort of other thing that pops up and it just becomes A LOT! I want to share 9 ways to de-stress so that when things get hard, or you feel stressed, you know the tools to use to hopefully make it a little easier.
9 Ways To De-stress
- Talk to someone: I don’t necessarily mean a professional someone, but talk to your mom, a friend, or your spouse. Sometimes talking through our stress and what we have going on helps! A professional someone is good too! I actually just started going back to therapy and it’s been very helpful.
- Take stock of what’s going on and decide what you can cut out: For me this is huge. I am HORRIBLE at saying no and taking on too much. So look at what you have been doing and ask yourself what can go. If nothing can, then try not to commit to new things.
- Make a list and start with the most important things: I make a daily to-do list and always try to do the hardest task first. OR do a ton of the easy quick tasks. Seeing a ton of things crossed off your list will make you feel so much better!
- Carve out time for just you: Even if it’s 15 minutes to read, or go for a walk alone, or do a face mask. Just something that is just for you. You may think that this will add stress but doing something for yourself to center yourself will calm you down and make you feel like you can get the other things done.
- Ask for help where needed: Again, something I am awful at, but ask for help. Maybe you need a babysitter one or two days a week for a few hours, or maybe you need to ask your spouse to take on a few more errands or house chores. Whatever it may be, ask for help.
- Take a nap even a quick one: It’s amazing what a 10-15 minute power nap can do. I used to feel super guilty napping when Liam napped. Like “shouldn’t I be doing XYZ?” It has taken me two years to realize that his nap time SOME DAYS has to be my recharge time too! Not always, but at least once a week I use at least part of his nap for a rest for myself.
- Read for 30 minutes: Again carving out this time may not be feasible each day. It may not work for everyone but engulfing yourself in another story or another world can really ease your mind and take away some stress. So many great book recommendations here.
- Do a workout: This is my biggest destress time! I try to work out for an hour each day. Some days that is shorter. Recently I only had time for 20 minutes but it was better than nothing and still did the trick! Even if you do it at home!
- Give yourself a little grace: When all else fails, remind yourself that we all feel this way. Everyone has stress and not everyone can get everything done every day. Don’t beat yourself up if the kitchen is dirty, or the laundry isn’t put away, or XYZ errand didn’t get accomplished. Just try again tomorrow.
Finding ways to de-stress especially in current times is so important and I hope these gave you some ideas.
What are some ways to de-stress you find helpful?
This post was originally published in 2019 and has been updated for 2021.