5.21.18 36

9 Things I Am Doing More Of

I feel like when I find myself in a funk or my anxiety gets really bad I have to look at what I am doing every day and see what I need to do more of and less of. Usually that makes me feel A TON better. So I wanted to share 9 things I am doing more of. They may help you too!

9 Things I am Doing More Of

• Yoga: I was really great about yoga practice at the beginning of the year and it just kind of fell apart in March and April. Towards the end of April it got a lot better and I notice such a difference in my mental state when I even do 15 minutes of yoga a day! I try to do it before Liam wakes up because I feel like my mood is good all day!
  • Meditating: Just like with yoga I started so strong and then just got busy! Here’s the thing about meditation; it really does help! When I do it I feel less anxious and I feel like I sleep better. My overall health feels better.
  • Eating salads: So this may sound weird because I love salads and I probably eat them more often than most. I even have a favorite salad chopper (you need it, it’s life changing). But I have been making more fresh summer chopped salads and I love love love them!
  • Asking for help: With EVERYTHING I need help with! Sometimes we suck at asking for help and we work ourselves to death trying to do everything. You can’t do it all.
  • Reading: Reading calms me. It makes me happy. It makes me feel good! So I have been trying to read every single day. Some days it’s 2 hours some days it’s 10 minutes.
  • Putting my phone down: When I get in bed at night I have been trying to just plug my phone in and be done with it. Watch TV with Andrew, or read, or both! But I have been trying to be on my phone less. The result… much better sleep and more quality time!
  • Calling my grandparents: So I call and see my grandparents pretty often, but you know what, there’s no such thing as too much. I am so lucky to be 34 and still have both my dad’s parents!
  • Seeing my friends: So when you are married, and have a baby, and have a full time job seeing friends is hard. Thank god for friends with babies the same age! It really makes seeing them a lot easier. Also thank god for friends that always say yes to Tex Mex and cookie dough dates!
  • Taking Liam on outings: I have spoken a little about the anxiety I felt when Liam was a baby about taking him places alone. I had a lot lot lot of anxiety. I thought the worst things would happen and we stayed home A LOT or we went places with others. I have tried to take him SOMEWHERE every single day. Even if it’s the grocery store or Starbucks. We have so much fun and he loves car rides.

These are things I am doing more of in hopes that maybe my quality of life will improve just a little and my anxiety will dissipate 🙂

What is something you are doing more of?

1. Sounds like a great list, Neely! I’m definitely going to be taking the time to see my friends more too! 🙂

2. Jen wrote:

I too struggle with anxiety and these are great suggestions. I also love to organize. Somehow a calm and controlled external environment translates to a calm and controlled internal environment. Love the blog, as always.

3. Wendy wrote:

Good for you to be taking such good care of yourself and recognizing when you need it most. Great list of thing to help anyone really.

4. Erin wrote:

I’ve been slowly digging into meditation and I wish I would have done it sooner! I always assumed you needed to have a quiet calm atmosphere and sit for at least thirty minutes (I don’t have that kind of attention span at all) but the app I’m using is so helpful for showing me how I can do it anywhere! Such a great list!
    xo

Published 5.21.18
  5. I’ve trying to get into a regular meditation routine too! I’m hoping it will reduce my stress level.

Published 5.21.18
  6. I do try and make time for reading every day! That’s great you’re going out with Liam more; I hope your anxiety about that lessens the more you do it.

-Lauren

7. Blair wrote:

Neely, I am doing all of these things more too! Except the grandparents bit, because unfortunately they have passed away. But I loved your list. You feel like a lady I’d like to hang with in real life 🙂

8. I’m trying to eat more veggies – instead of coffee 😉

9. dani wrote:

I need to follow your lead on these. Its about time I get back into routine now that Summer break is here.

10. Michelle wrote:

That does sound like a good list – I especially like the point about calling your grandparents and meeting friends. I am trying to be more social at the moment and not stay at home every night, watching Netflix!

Published 5.21.18
  11. The list works for me. Time in nature is also important. Nothing like fresh air and beautiful countryside to pep you up

12. Kristin wrote:

I definitely want to EAT MORE SALADS! I used to prep veggies and fruit to grab for snacks, and I’ve found that when I don’t, I end up with some of the kids’ cheddar crackers or other NOT GOOD AT ALL snacks in my hand.

I also have cut out alcohol, as much sugar as I can…sometimes, and I am not skipping commercials, but doing plank or marching during them instead.

Published 5.21.18
  13. I am tracking my food intake more and I am getting out of the house more. The weather has finally gotten nice and I don’t feel like I need to be trapped inside. We’ve started our summer bucket list and hopefully can start crossing items off soon.

14. Ashley wrote:

Yes – I love to read! I think we all need a little bit more reading in our lives. We can take so much away from someone else’s story.

Much love,
    Ashley
    thehoneyscoop.com

15. Kristen wrote:

I love this!! Shared on Pinterest 🙂

Published 5.21.18
  16. I’ve been trying to work on meditation myself. I’m up to (don’t laugh too hard) one gratitude minute twice a day. I know it seems silly, but even those quick one-minute bursts of thinking of all the things that I’m thankful for in that moment, helps. Hopefully I can build up the time I spend doing that.

17. Katie wrote:

These are all great things to do more of! I can’t say I’ve been doing more yoga lately (which makes me so sad to say) but I have been getting in more runs (especially outside) and getting in more green veggies!

Published 5.21.18
  18. I have been trying to move more. My family and I go on a long walk together almost every evening.

19. Renate wrote:

Great list! I should absolutely sit down and reflect upon what things I should do more of to improve my day-to-day life! I am trying to jump on the more reading thing now, put down my phone at night and read. It does wonders for my mind and sleep!

20. Krysten wrote:

Oh my gosh the call your grandparents one – I was VERY close with my grandparents on my dad’s side of the family and used to call them every Friday. They’ve since passed away and I miss those calls so much. Definitely call yours as much as you can… it’s so, so, so important.

21. Angel wrote:

Aw! I love this article. Anxiety can make it hard to anything, let alone things to improve your life.

22. Kelli wrote:

These are great things to do in general, but definitely great self-care tactics. I hope they help to ease your anxiety and give you more peace in your life.

23. Crystal wrote:

What a great list. I need to call my grandparents more often. Thanks for the reminder to be more intentional about that.

24. Nellwyn wrote:

I’ve been doing a lot more reading this year and have so far read every single day of the year. Now that the weather is finally warming up where I live I’m also making a point to get outside more and go for walks as much as I can.

25. Robin wrote:

Yes! I couldn’t agree more! Whenever I actually work up the energy to go to yoga, I’m always happier and less stressed out.

Robin // Penn And Quill

26. Scott wrote:

I too am trying to eat more salads. It can be difficult, but we’ve started to mix them up so they’re not all the same!

Published 5.21.18
  27. I am starting to relax more now that I have an opportunity to work from home. I love your list especially meditating which is also on my to-do list.

28. Kaitlin wrote:

Finding time to do more of what brings me joy helps so much with easing anxiety! Plus I find that I can be more productive if I also make time for my own happiness 🙂

Thank you for sharing! I am trying to make more time for creative writing–I love blogging and doing writing for work, but I want to stretch those creative muscles and see where it takes me!

Kaitlin \\ http://www.thecuriouslemon.com/

29. Erin wrote:

I love this! I also love salads and I’m super interested in that salad chopper, not that I need another kitchen gadget right now, BUT SALAD!
    Anxiety is such a pain, isn’t it? I hope you continue to find more stress-free moments 🙂
    Erin | Photographer

Published 5.21.18
  30. Love this list and it already is helping me!!! I’ve been working on putting my phone down more often as well. 🙂

Published 5.21.18
  31. I loooove yoga! I got into it consistently when I was pregnant and since having our daughter I’ve only been back a handful of times. I’d love to add it back to my schedule in addition to my normal workouts. I always felt so relaxed and amazing after a good yoga session.

32. Tami wrote:

Reading calms me, too. I also am trying to spend more time with extended family. I won’t always have that opportunity, as we all age.

Published 5.22.18
  33. Such a great list to do! I think I want to work on doing yoga, seeing my friends and asking for help when necessary. The weather is warming up so it’s a great time to be out and about.

Published 5.22.18
  34. I can agree with you on putting your phone down and connecting more with those you love. It’s always nice to see a friendly face.

Published 5.22.18
  35. CourtneyLynne wrote:

What a great list!!! You can never meditate enough! So calming and definitely the best way to destress!

Published 5.23.18
  36. A former colleague of mine swears by yoga. She says that it is the one thing that has allowed here to stay in shape all of these years.

Published 5.23.18