9.23.20 18

How To Get A Good Night’s Sleep

I feel like as a mom especially a good night’s sleep is hard to come by. There’s something about dads always being able to sleep well without hearing the cries and noises but moms not so much.

How To Get A Good Night’s Sleep

Turn off screens: This is probably the one I will forever struggle with. I have noticed the times I don’t watch TV or read on my iPad before bed I sleep better but we always watch something before bed.

Meditate: I am a BIG fan of meditation, be it guided or not. I do better with guided and I have used Headspace for the last few years. I find Headspace to be perfect for me and that guy’s voice lulls me.

Stretch: There are sooooo many good sleep stretches you can find on Youtube and even Pinterest. One of my favorite yoga Youtube channels is SarabethYoga. She has LOTS of great stretching videos.

Try CBD: I wrote an entire blog post about how much I am loving Equilibria CBD and my entire routine with it! It has changed my sleep the most. The daily drops and soft gels have been a lifesaver, especially because so many nights I would wake up after falling asleep and have a hard time falling back to sleep. I do not have that issue any more at all.

Journal: This one may not be for everyone and it may look differently depending on how you do things. Some people find it more helpful to journal first thing in the morning. I feel as though sometimes my thoughts overtake my mind at night and brain dumping everything out really helps. I do not do this every night but I do this on the nights my mind is racing. Some people love the one line a day journals as a nightly journal practice. We have also done a relationship journal which we loved.

Talk to your partner: If you have concerns, worries, things you need to get off your mind. Use the before bedtime to talk to your partner. It’s also a nice time to connect. If you have kids you may be like us and get in bed and feel like you are all talked out (3-year-olds ask a LOT of questions). But talking at night is such a great way to fall asleep.

Make a to-do list: Going along with journaling if I know I have too many things to do the next day having them on my to-do list takes the stress away. I know what I need to attack for the next morning and I feel so much better than having it all race through my head.

Have things ready for the morning: THIS IS HUGE. I always have mine and the kid’s clothes laid out, Liam’s lunch made, his school bag packed, and anything we need for the morning done. This takes a ton of morning rush and stress away and knowing this helps my night stress as well.

I think getting a good night’s sleep routine is key. Doing the same things night in and night out can really help your mind know its time to relax. Almost like with babies and kids you do the same thing in the same order and it cues them for sleep.

What do you do to get a good night’s sleep?

1. Great tips! This reminds me, I should probably go to sleep earlier… ❤️✨

Published 9.23.20
  2. Nicole Bongiovanni wrote:

I am not a mom but all of these things still apply, especially the last one! Happy to say I am pretty good at doing most of these things. Thanks for sharing!

Published 9.23.20

I have to turn the screens off and just read before bed. There was a time a few years ago that I was not sleeping well and I noticed that I had gotten out of the habit of reading. I read on a paperwhite kindle reader, but that type of screen doesn’t bother me like a tv or the screen of an iPad does. My worst night sleeps are when I am doing something different, waking up at a different time, worried about missing a flight or similar. Last night I was up every half hour. I knew they were making an announcement about whether we were taking another day of virtual learning because of TS Beta (thankfully it’s gone through so the boys were able to go to school today) but I think because I knew that text would come through at 5am, my body kept waking me up. I also started charging my phone in the office instead of my nightstand and that helped keep me from the temptation to grab it right before bed or first thing in the morning.

Published 9.23.20
  4. Jennifer Prince wrote:

I like the idea of reflecting on the day by journaling. And YES to less screen time!

Published 9.23.20
  5. Ooooh! I love the note to add stretching to the nighttime routine! I need to try this in the evenings. Thanks for the tips girl 🙂

Published 9.23.20
  6. I heard so so much about CBD but never gpt the chance to try it out! I started meditating recently and it is helping me a lot.

Published 9.23.20
  7. I love that you included talk to your partner to get things off your chest before you lay down to sleep. This is an excellent way to keep your mind from running in circles after you lay down to sleep. I have started stretching in the morning, but now going to add it in before bed to see if it helps me.

Published 9.23.20
  8. Kileen wrote:

These are great tips for sure! I’ve always wanted to try CBD because I have heard wonderful things about it helping you sleep faster and sleep more soundly. I need to look more into it!

Kileen
    cute & little

Published 9.24.20
  9. Emily wrote:

I’m really bad about using screens before bed. That being said I at least have transitioned to watching something calming before bed and it does seem to relax me. Great tips!

Published 9.24.20
  10. Venus wrote:

You gave some good ideas, and mediating sure does help. But, I have never tried CBD.

Published 9.24.20
  11. Natalie wrote:

These are all GREAT tips! Just recently I tried writing a to-do list before going to sleep. I felt immediate relief and slept like a baby. So this is a really good tip there.

Published 9.24.20
  12. Carolyn wrote:

I love these tips! I think the idea of journaling is a wonderful idea! I mainly try to limit screen time to help with sleeping.

Published 9.24.20
  13. katrina Kroeplin wrote:

sleep is one thing i don’t get a lot of. i need help big time. great tips.

Published 9.24.20
  14. Amanda wrote:

I have a CBD candle next to my bed that I’ll light before bed that helps me relax and sleep better. I haven’t treid drops yet though so I’ll have to look into that!

Published 9.24.20

Great tips here! I always read before bed. A physical book, not an e-reader or audiobook. I put my phone on sleep mode and I don’t use it for the last hour or two before bed while I read. It’s a great way to unwind. I also diffuse lavender essential oils and have a weighted blanket for additional peace and calm.

Published 9.25.20
  16. Whitney wrote:

these are all such great tips! I find that stretching before bed really helps me. I also try not to watch TV too close to bedtime either.

Published 9.25.20
  17. Christa wrote:

I’ve been working on eliminating screen time before bed. It makes such a huge difference!

Published 9.25.20
  18. I am not a mom, yet I don’t get a good night sleep 😣 I do meditation, now will try your other tips too!

Published 9.25.20