I blame the fact that I listen to a TON of true crime podcasts for today’s post topic. Recently there have been more and more stories of young women going missing, getting killed, etc. Just doing normal everyday things we all probably do. I have always considered myself a somewhat “scared” person. I tend to think of the worst possible scenarios so I plan accordingly. I want to share some of the things I do to go along with staying safe in 2018.
Staying Safe In 2018
- Turn On Google Maps Location Sharing: I do this with Andrew and my parents so that I can see them and they can see me. That way if I am on a walk with Liam or just out running errands they can see where I am.
- Turn on Uber locations: I discovered this feature when I was in Cincinnati. Did you know that you can share your Uber location with anyone you want? It’s very very safe and people are able to follow your location from one place to another. I love this!
- Let SOMEONE always know where you are: I try to tell at least one person where I am at all times. Sometimes I will send a text to Andrew saying “hey dropping Liam at school, heading to the gym, then post office, then I should be home!” Or to let my mom know “hey just got home.”
- Carry pepper spray: I have had pepper spray in my purse for years and stroller since I had Liam. Just another precaution.
- Carry your car keys when walking: I have keyless entry on my car, but I still hold my keys while walking to it. Not only in case I need to unlock it further away but you know in case you need to use the sharp key for something!
- Avoid parking garages when you can: Parking garages have always freaked me out. I try to never park in them if I have an option. Even at the nicest mall in Dallas a family got attacked in a parking garage. A FAMILY! Not just a woman alone but a mom, dad, and baby. SO yeah that’s a no on parking garages.
- Don’t walk/run on secluded trails: I think this is pretty obvious. I like a good walk as much as the next girl, but even in my super safe suburban neighborhood I don’t go on the trail alone or just with Liam. You are never TOO safe.
I don’t mean for this post to come off dramatic, and I am not trying to scare people. But we all need to be way more aware of where we are and what we are doing. There are so many things you can do to keep yourself safe.
What kinds of things are you doing for staying safe in 2018?
Is it sad that we have to do these things to stay safe? Yes. But is it necessary to have our own backs and not assume it will never happen to us? Absolutely!