9.28.16 26

My mom taught me at a VERY young age to properly thank people for gifts and for nice things they do for you. Whether that is thanking someone for holding a door open or writing a thank you note immediately after receiving a gift. With a baby boy on the way in just 4-ish months I have been writing lots of thank you notes for sweet gifts. I remember back when we got married wondering what thank you note etiquette for gifts was. I am partnering with Minted today to bring you some great ideas for thank you notes and a few tips on thank you note etiquette.

thank-you-note-etiquette-o

First I wanted to share the thank you notes we chose to use for baby gifts that we receive as well as for baby shower gifts! I think these turned out so cute. I wanted something simple and for a baby boy on the way.

6b13a6d4930c49cdb43b3d662a2fc6ec

I also really love these:

min-36y-hty-001_c_pd
min-7ye-cty-001_b_pd

For baby gifts whether given before, during, or after a shower the proper thank you note etiquette is before the baby is born or within two months of the birth! I tend to try to write thank you notes as soon as I receive the gift. I think it’s so much easier to stay on top of it that way. I did that with our wedding gifts and even after showers with a lot more gifts it was just easier to do it ASAP!

If you are getting married the proper thank you note etiquette is 3 months from the receipt of the gift. Not one year from the wedding or 3 months from the wedding but from the day you receive the gifts. FYI, I got this information from none other than Emily Post. I love these wedding thank you notes from Minted!

I love the option of having a photo of the two of you on the cards. Either from the wedding itself or maybe an engagement photo. If not then the basic thank you note options are always a winner!

min-az6-tyc-001_a_pz

min-yoo-tyc-001_a_pz

min-gsc-tyc-001_a_pz

For weddings or babies don’t forget to properly thank people who threw you showers or lunches. I can’t imagine how upsetting it would be to put in all the work for a shower and not get a proper thank you. Those kinds of events I would write a thank you note ASAP! Try to send a note the day of or the day after a shower while details are fresh in your mind.

What do you think proper thank you note etiquette is or should be?

This post is sponsored by Minted. All opinions are my own.

1. Jennifer wrote:

Nice idea for greeting cards .

Published 9.28.16
  2. During our engagement I was on top of Thank Yous and usually I am not. As soon as I got a gift I would write a thank you! Before I was engaged and was writing a lot of thank yous I never really noticed if I got a Thank You note, well since we were married I have been to 3 weddings and I never got one Thank You. I was shocked!

3. Lisa wrote:

Really great thank you cards and ideas! I’m not so good at sending the thank you cards sometimes. I tend to go the modern way of and email, text or e-card, but I always make sure the person knows they are appreciated!!! I do think the thank you cards in the mail are more personal. Good for you for being on top of it!

Published 9.28.16
  4. I am a huge fan of real notes and thank you cards. It is a lost art but I know still appreciated!

Published 9.28.16
  5. I usually try to turn around thank you notes immediately, but I also never really expect them from other people…

6. Chelsea wrote:

I think this is SO important!! I love thank you’s. I just started doing them for my blog, too!

7. Nellwyn wrote:

These are such beautiful cards! I’ll definitely have to check out Minted the next time I need cards

8. gracie wrote:

Beautiful thank you ideas ! Love Minted we have used them for Christmas cards before !

9. Georgiana wrote:

I LOVE thank you notes! My kids write them, but not for every occasion, so we need to shore up on that. I’ve found that out of everyone we know, only three families (including ours) have the kids write thank you notes for birthdays and such. Bring back etiquette!

Published 9.28.16
  10. First off, your baby thank you’s are SO stinkin’ cute, Neely!
    Second, whoa I did not know wedding etiquette was 3 months after gift receipt. I thought it was like…two weeks! HA that’s such a relief, now I can actually breathe doing mine…

Coming Up Roses

11. Audrey wrote:

These are amazing tips!! It seems as we are getting more digital that the art of thank you cards are going away now.

12. Jolina wrote:

I do miss the art of writing letters and sending them out! We usually go the email route but it would be nice to receive an actual thank you note sometimes.

13. Greta wrote:

I love these ideas! Personalized thank you notes are the perfect touch.

Greta | http://www.gretahollar.com

14. Jenny wrote:

I usually do the thank you notes as I go too. It’s so easy to forget if you don’t.

15. Natalie wrote:

All these card ideas are so cute! I love the one with the elephant that you chose for baby shower thank-yous. So sweet!

Published 9.28.16
  16. I feel like many people don’t know about the etiquette for sending thank-you notes. This is a great post and I’m in love with some of these cards you’ve shared!

Published 9.28.16
  17. I love all of these! Thank you notes are my weakness.

Published 9.28.16
  18. I am fan of thank you notes. They are so personal and a nice touch. We all need to follow certain etiquette standards to keep our relationships growing. Thanks for all the great info =)

Published 9.28.16
  19. Sadly, this habit of sending Thank You cards seems to be dying. Nothing feels so good as to be appreciated for your time and your gift. I am glad that some companies still try to encourage people to continue with this tradition of sending thank you cards.

20. Carrie wrote:

These are all beautiful cards! Being from the South I know how important it is to send thank you notes. Sometimes I wonder if I should send a thank you note in response to another thank you note! haha!

Published 9.28.16
  21. I SO appreciate all of these online card sites. For our wedding, we had so many thank you cards to write – it seemed so daunting. So we signed on to Postable and were able to get it all done in a few hours

Published 9.29.16
  22. Ave wrote:

I have to say that Thank You notes are not really common here, but I think that it’s a wonderful idea! I think it’s better to send out the notes as soon as possible, that way it would be much easier to be on top of everything.

Published 9.29.16
  23. It’s a habit that I don’t see often anymore. We rely on text and email. I handwritten note arriving by mail is so much more sentimental.

Published 9.29.16
  24. Liz Mays wrote:

I’m always touched when I receive a handwritten thank you note, so that’s what I always send too. I’m afraid it’s turning into a rarity to receive them now. 🙁

Published 10.1.16
  25. I was the worst about wedding thank you notes, some people never got one. 🙁 I love the card you chose for your baby gifts, so cute!

Published 10.2.16
  26. Keating wrote:

I also grew up on thank you cards, but always hated it. It was always so time consuming and half the time the cards were going to family members I rarely saw or heard from. So I couldn’t think of anything to say besides “thanks” haha but nowadays, I send thank you cards for just about everything and my friends and family always love receiving them. To me, it’s just polite to formally thank people for being there or giving you whatever it is they gave you.

xo, Keating | Hello Lovely