10.11.16 35

The Benefits of Vitamin C

I got a flu shot a couple of weeks ago, as I normally do this time of year. This year it was a bit different because I am pregnant my Dr insisted that I get one ASAP! While waiting for my flu shot I was trying to think of other things I can do to make sure that I do not get sick this year. I wanted to share a few of the benefits of vitamin C, and some things you can do to try to keep the flu at bay.

the-benefits-of-vitamin-c-o

Ways To Get Enough Vitamin C

• Vitamin C rich foods include oranges, red and green bell peppers, pineapple, kale, broccoli, strawberries, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and more. Eating these foods can really boost your vitamin C levels which in turn help boost your immune system. A strong immune system is just one benefit of vitamin C!
  • Using something like Ricola Herbal Immunity Lozenges can help boost your immune system as well.  Ricola Herbal Immunity Lozenges are the first widely available immunity product in the US that fights fatigue, while also supporting the immune system. They contain no artificial flavors or colors and are free of genetically modified ingredients. They are available in two varieties: Honey Herb and Citrus Herb and are available at CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid stores nationwide. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that deactivates the nasty radicals that can destroy DNA, proteins, and lipids in the body.ricola-3
    ricola-1
    Ricola-2
  • Vitamin C can contribute to a healthy immune system and help your body avoid getting sick!

Things You Can Do To Stay Healthy During Flu Season

• Eating healthy Vitamin C rich foods like the ones I listed above daily. I try to make a green smoothie every single day and putting kale and other vitamin C rich fruits in, is a great way to get more vitamin C and stay healthy!
  • Getting enough sleep. I am so much more likely to get sick if I am not sleeping. I remember in college always getting sick around finals because I was not sleeping at all. Lack of sleep can really hurt your immune system.
  • Exercising daily. Getting some exercise and fresh air can really help boost your immune system and keep you healthy.
  • Keeping your hands clean by washing them often and using hand sanitizer. This is pretty self explanatory, but wash your hands! If you are in public places make sure to always wash your hands, wipe down grocery carts etc.
  • Avoiding being around people that are sick. At least as much as you can!

What kinds of things do you do to stay healthy during flu season? I hope hearing about the benefits of vitamin C will make you more likely to include it in your daily life during this coming flu season!

I’m sharing #Ricola in my life as part of a Ricola sponsored series for Socialstars™

1. I got the flu shot too and pretty much everyone in my family got the flu except for me! I do try to eat healthy too – winter is a good time to pack veggies into soups and stews 🙂

Published 10.11.16
  2. Great tips! This time of year makes me so not want to leave my house but I do always keep hand sanitizer on me at all times. I’ll be stocking up on the Ricola drops, too! And I had no clue that all those foods are great sources of Vitamin C! Good thing we eat most of those daily in my house. We’ll keep that up for sure!

3. Candy wrote:

Great tips! Thanks for sharing! I always forget about Ricola drops as a preventative. I need to stock up!

Published 10.11.16
  4. I’ve been starting to take a chewable Vitamin C vitamin every day now to hopefully fight off any future colds!

5. mel wrote:

I am so excited to hear that Ricola has this. I am going to look for it at the store.

6. Chelsie wrote:

We’re always trying to find ways to get more Vitamin C into our diets because I have the immune system capacity of a teaspoon and need all the help I can get!

Published 10.11.16
  7. When I was younger I used to eat Ricola all the time!! Thanks for reminding us to take care of ourselves this season! 🙂

8. Lisa wrote:

I just purchased some Vitamin C to take daily now that winter is coming. I also use Ricola sometimes. Great post and reminder to take my vitamins!

Published 10.11.16
  9. Such a great post! I had no idea that bell peppers had so much vitamin C. I usually just end up chugging orange juice this time of year but it’s great to know I have options now. xx Merisa | Monogrammed Magnolias

Published 10.11.16
  10. Vitamin C is my ultimate go-to when anyone is starting the sniffles in our home! I will have to try these Ricola Lozenges for sure!

11. Hannah wrote:

Great list! I think for me getting enough sleep is so important to keep the sickness away!

12. Bekah wrote:

My 9 month old got pt. 1 of her flu shot last week. Its hard giving them shots 🙁 but necessary. Congratulations on you pregnancy!

Published 10.11.16
  13. I have very strong opinions on the flu shot, so I do not get one, but I definitely make sure I’m doing everything in my power to keep myself healthy and well this time of year, including bulking up my vitamin C intake!

14. Kelly wrote:

I had what I hope was only a short bout of the flu this weekend, and it was terrible. Vitamin C is a huge help to prevent this, and I am definitely going to be increasing my intake now. I also think people underestimate the importance of sleep in preventing sickness. I’m glad you mentioned it because it’s such a huge factor!

Published 10.11.16
  15. I loved reading this I love Ricola! They are also very good and do help prevent my tough coughs. Congrats on the baby would love to know your workout routine!!! Be blessed!

Corsica | kissesfromcarolina.com

16. Jaime wrote:

I was pregnant last winter and it was TOUGH getting sick! I did make sure I was getting a lot of Vitamin C each day (it’s about the safest thing you can do when pregnant.) Rest was also essential. I also kept bags of the Ricola cough drops with me throughout January. They came in handy!

17. Jessica wrote:

I want to try these! They sound delicious and the health benefits are a plus!

18. Samantha wrote:

Ricola is our go to brand during cold and flu season! I will have to try these.

19. Allison wrote:

Vitamin C is a huge must have for our family. My hubby takes it each day!

20. Brandy wrote:

I had no idea Ricola offered this, I loved them as a brand growing up for cough drops or something I recall that tasted as honey that my parents gave me 😉 Will give this a try, Vitamin C is so important!

21. Laura wrote:

I am ALL about the vitaminC right now! Oranges, veggies and emergen-c packets run my days…

Other ways to avoid getting sick?
    Wash your hands WELL and keep purel with you
    If you go to the gym, wipe down equipment BEFORE AND AFTER use (because people are gross and don’t always do it)
    Get plenty of sleep
    Have spicy food and get those sinuses flowing!

xxox
    Laura @ http://www.cookwineandthinker.com

Published 10.11.16
  22. I take a ton of Vitamins but its always good to know what else I can do for my health. Cold and flu season is always hard for me, I get sick constantly. I’ll have to try these Ricola drops!

23. Jenny wrote:

I feel like I get sick easier than I used to so I could use a little more Vitamin C in my life.

xoxo, Jenny

24. Rachel wrote:

I love Vitamin C! Especially important before and during travels!

25. My Teen Guide wrote:

Vitamin C is really important nutrients, especially for our kids! It’s so nice to know more benefits about Vitamin C. Thanks!

Published 10.12.16
  26. zim wrote:

I really need to start getting the flu shots. I believe that I consume enough Vitamin C, yet no winter passes by without me catching the flu.

Published 10.12.16
  27. Rebekah wrote:

Good tips! Make sure you keep up on the Vit C after you habe the baby too. Your immune systemis a lot weaker them becausr of the lack of sleep and busyness that comes with a baby.

Published 10.12.16
  28. Lexi wrote:

I’ve never gotten a flu shot before. I really need to start taking more vitamin C.

Published 10.12.16
  29. Myteenguide wrote:

We love taking vitamin C and this is a nice way to have it. Nice share!

Published 10.12.16
  30. Farrah wrote:

We definitely up our vitamin C during cold and flu season! Vitamin D3 is another good one!

Published 10.13.16
  31. Elizabeth O wrote:

I take supplements and eat healthy foods to stay healthy. On the occasion I’ve had the sniffles, I take a natural hey all tea with echinacea.

Published 10.13.16
    • Elizabeth O wrote:

Sorry about the smartphone mis-correction. That line was meant to say – I take a natural herbal tea with echinacea.

Published 10.13.16
  32. Great tips! The winter is such a prime time to enjoy citrus fruits and I need to stock up. Thanks for the post!

Published 10.13.16
  33. CourtneyLynne wrote:

I’m all about vitamin c! Especially this time of year! My daughter is constantly being sick germs home from school. Have to try and avoid the sicknesses as much as possible!

Published 10.13.16
  34. Audrey wrote:

These are great benefits!! It really is amazing how much of a difference it can make to your overall health!

Published 10.13.16