2.9.21 30

Best True Crime Podcasts 2021

If you have followed me for a while you know I loved podcasts. I mostly listen to them while driving, working out, or working at home while Charlotte naps. True Crime podcasts are truly some of my favorite because they are so interesting and easy to get caught up in! If you are looking for some good distractions I have rounded up the best true crime podcasts 2021.

Best True Crime Podcasts 2021

Best True Crime Podcasts 2021

True Crime Podcasts: Seasons

Dirty John: So if you haven’t listened to this, it’s super short, only 6 episodes. Almost like a mini-series. It’s about a woman who falls in love with a con man and it really happened in California. It interviews all the people involved and narrated by the writer from the LA Times who wrote about it. Pretty great binge! Also, there is a great mini-series on Netflix!

Dr Death: The first season of Dr Death was about a doctor in my area so I was SUPER curious. The second season just recently came out and I have not listened yet but I heard it’s really good. They are making it into a TV show!

Cold: One of the saddest podcasts but it’s a true story about a family where the wife goes missing and the husband is accused of killing her. There is no evidence but his strange behavior really irks people. Then something even more tragic happens.

Fatal Voyage: The first season is about the mysterious death of Natalie Wood. The second season is about Princess Diana and the third season about JFK Jr. Super interesting!

True Crime Podcasts Weekly Episodes:

Crime Junkies: Probably one of the most popular true crime podcasts and my favorite. I love the hosts and they really have an excellent way of telling stories. Most of the stories are ones you probably have never heard.

Real Crime Profile: This I actually found because of Dirty John. They did a few episodes on it. They cover a lot of real crimes like Amanda Knox, OJ, Making a Murderer, etc. It’s fascinating.

True Crime Garage: This one is a really great one with hosts that dive deep into a lot of mainstream true crimes and some that are a little lesser-known. Really great way of storytelling.

Once Upon A Crime: This is becoming a fast favorite. I really like the way she gives such backstories on the people too. She has a more concise way of telling the stories.

Generation Why: The newest to me. I devoured about 12 episodes in 3 days. Hundreds of back episodes to keep you occupied!

Last Podcast On The Left: Last year I was listening to Once Upon A Crime episode about Kurt Cobain and I guess I’ve been living under a rock because I had no idea there was a conspiracy. So I found an episode about it on this podcast and I’ve been loving it!

Other Podcasts To Listen To In 2021:

I have a lot of posts with different categories of podcasts. I have shared my favorite podcastspodcasts for momspersonal growth podcastsguilty pleasure podcastsblogging podcasts and healthy living podcasts.  So check those out if you are curious!

Have you listened to any of the best true crime podcasts in 2021 I listed?

This post was originally posted in 2018 and has been updated for 2021.

1. KV wrote:

The Dirty John story is going to be on Dateline this Friday. I listened to it recently. I also listen to My Favorite Murder & And That’s why we drink. Thanks for the suggestions.

Published 1.12.18
    • Laura wrote:

I’ve recently been really digging True Crime Brewery. A hubby and wife team, very mellow conversations and come with a beer review at the start of the podcast.

Published 2.27.18
  2. This is my favourite genre! True crime podcasts will be a great way to get me listening to podcasts. Thanks for the recommendations. 🙂

Published 1.12.18
  3. Jennifer wrote:

I’m not really into true crime stories….although you intrigued me at the very end with the Kurt Cobain conspiracy theory.

Published 1.12.18
  4. I’m also obsessed with true crime podcasts! I love several you mentioned, including True Crime Obsessed, Serial (just Season 1), and Dirty John. A few of my other favorites are: Slow Burn (about Watergate), Crime Writers On… (a panel of four writers discuss various crime-related shows, documentaries, and podcasts), Criminal (each episode is about a different intriguing crime), Ear Hustle (produced by inmates at San Quentin), In the Dark (about Jacob Wetterling), and Accused (just Season 1, about an unsolved murder).

If you’re into Law & Order, you need to check out These Are Their Stories: A Law & Order Podcast. I’ve also enjoyed Done Disappeared, which is a hilarious spoof on a lot of the most popular true crime podcasts. And if, like me, you sometimes need a break from the darkness of true crime, you’ve got to listen to HGTV & Me and The Popcast.

Published 1.12.18
  5. ALEX wrote:

My Favorite Murder! Its the reason I even became interested in podcasts. Karen and Georgia are the best – I always end up laughing out loud (with plenty of people staring at me haha) while listening to them on the train to and from work.

Published 1.12.18
  6. Heather wrote:

I don’t believe I have ever heard a podcast. My husband and I enjoy watching forensic files.

Published 1.12.18
  7. Oh yeah, definitely a conspiracy about Kurt Cobain, but listening to it would be interesting! I’ve only listened to My Favorite Murder, but I love it – those girls are hilarious too – but I need to get out walking more so I can keep listening and check out some of these too.

-Lauren

Published 1.12.18
  8. Jessy wrote:

I’ve heard about a few of these and may have to check them out! Thanks for sharing your faves!

xo, Jessy | http://www.currentbliss.com

Published 1.12.18
  9. Scott wrote:

It’s funny how this has become popular again. I enjoy listening to a couple old time radio apps, and they have crime stories from the 30’s/40’s on there all the time!

Published 1.12.18
  10. Jenny wrote:

I can’t believe I never looked up true crime podcasts!! I love listening to podcasts while driving, they are a great break from music!!

Published 1.12.18
  11. Jamie wrote:

I’ve never really listened to podcasts but these sound great!

Published 1.12.18
  12. Liz wrote:

Haha a ton of people have recommended some of these podcasts to me. They sound interesting!

Published 1.13.18
  13. So happy I came across this list! Writing all of these down 🙂

Published 1.13.18
  14. Rosey wrote:

When I think of podcasts, I think of school (online course work). I really should expand and listen to one for motivational reasons or personal enjoyment.

Published 1.13.18
  15. Rachel M. wrote:

Sword & Scale. Check this one out! Tons of content (I want to say 200+ episodes) of various types of true crime. Disclaimer: some episodes pertaining to child abuse and/or homicides can be difficult to listen to, particularly if you have kiddos like me. Even so, this podcast brings a very human element to each crime it explores.

Published 1.14.18
  16. ludo king wrote:

That’s a good style, friend! Try yourself as a creative writer.You can definitely earn something!

Published 1.15.18
  17. Southern & Style wrote:

If you love true crime podcasts, you’ve got to listen to My Favorite Murder! Karen & Georgia are HILARIOUS and it’s the perfect mix of true crime and comedy, it’s great!

xoxo, SS

Southern and Style

Published 1.16.18
  18. 123movies wrote:

Amazing article thanks or sharing…

Published 2.27.18
  19. Joe wrote:

Have u tried Southern Fried True Crime ?

Published 2.27.18
  20. Laura K Wampler wrote:

I can’t believe my absolute favorite of all time isn’t on the list! Check out True Crime Brewery. Dick and Jill are WONDERFUL. Super cool married couple who tackle all the best known cases and some you haven’t heard about yet

Published 2.27.18
  21. Stacie wrote:

Murder Dictionary is also pretty awesome.

Published 2.27.18
  22. True Crime Brewery is at the top of my list. The wife and husband team take a different approach compared to other podcasts by sharing more info about the victim(s). Their voices are also nice and soothing. Give it a try. Be forewarned this podcast is addicting.

Published 2.27.18
  23. Becky Butcher wrote:

True Crime Brewery is one of my favorites!

Published 2.28.18
  24. Nikki wrote:

I was just looking for some good mystery podcasts!! I was thinking of listening one this weekend.

Published 2.9.21
  25. I am not a true crimes kind of girl. I would have trouble sleeping for days if I listened to one haha. I will definitely check out your other lists though! I love a good personal growth podcast!

Published 2.10.21

Oof. I cannot do true crime. I get totally freaked out. That’s why fantasy is my favorite book genre and I prefer superhero movies – anything as far from reality as possible, please and thanks haha! But this is fun for all of the true crime junkies out there – and I know there’s plenty of them!

Published 2.10.21
  27. I was listening to a Canadian crime podcast, “Someone Knows Something” that focuses on unsolved murders. I’ll have to check out some of the podcasts you listed!

Published 2.10.21

I actually just started listening to podcasts. I don’t have a lot of time since, if I drive, it’s 5 minutes to the school with the kids in the car. But when I am subbing, I listen during my lunch break and conference period. I will have to add some of these to my list!

Published 2.10.21
  29. Kendra wrote:

I’m a personal development podcast junkie, but now I need to look into these awesome true crime podcasts too! They sound intriguing!

Published 2.11.21