I have always been a big proponent of me time. I think its really important to do things for yourself by yourself. Pre-pandemic, I loved going to movies alone. It was one of my favorite things to do. Even just walking around the mall, or sitting at a coffee shop and reading, etc. Obviously finding me time in a pandemic is a little challenging when you live with a husband and two small kids and rarely get time alone. But I am going to share my favorite ways in case you need some inspiration.
Finding Me Time In A Pandemic
- Walks/Working out: One thing I do every day is taking a walk and do a workout. I walk before my kids are up and I workout during Charlotte’s first nap after Liam goes to school. To me, this is necessary not only to have some me time but it helps my mental health so much. Moving my body, working up a sweat, and feeling healthy is really important to me.
- Asking for it: One thing I do to get me time is asking for it. Not that I ever need Andrew’s permission but it’s more “hey I need some me time this Saturday are you able to watch the kids for a few hours?” He never says no but it’s polite to your partner to agree on a time so you are both getting the time you need.
- Going in our room: Since I can’t go to many places I sometimes will just go in our room, close the door, and have quiet. Something that with 2 kids under 4 is hard to come by at times.
- Doing a project around the house: This sounds like the opposite of me time but honestly when I am organizing a closet, or cleaning and I can put a Podcast on and listen to it without having to stop and make a snack or wipe a nose it’s me time. Trust me.
- At night after the kids are asleep: This is probably the most common for any parent right now. When my kids go to sleep and I can pour a glass of wine, read a book, or mindlessly scroll Instagram that is the most me time I get. I try to take some here and there during the day but truly it’s tough with kids.
Now that Liam is back in school and we mostly have a better routine and schedule I feel like it’s much easier to get me time. I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss wandering around the mall with a coffee, or around Target. Or going to brunch with girlfriends. I know those things will come back with time though.
What are some ways you are finding me time in a pandemic?