3.6.17 68

Things To Do Every Morning For A Productive Day

Ahhh productivity. Who doesn’t love a good productive morning. I sure do! Seriously nothing better than knowing you’ve been super productive. So today I am sharing my secrets and things to do every morning for a productive day!

lace wedding dress

Things To Do Every Morning For A Productive Day

Wake Up Early: To me, waking up early no matter how tired I am always means productivity! Pre baby I would wake up when Andrew’s alarm went off at 5:30 even though I did not need to be up that early. I always found that the earlier I got up the more productive I am. I am not a night person so if you are someone who is more productive at night, maybe sleep in a bit 🙂

Have A List: I do not think I could function daily without a to-do list. I am a little absent minded these days, but in general if it’s on a list for me it gets done. If it’s not I tend to forget about it. I have a weekly to do list and then daily ones as well. Highly suggest it!

Sweat A Little: If I get in a morning workout I have SO MUCH ENERGY all day! Even if it’s 30 minutes of cardio or a barre class I feel so much better and more productive if I get in a morning workout. I am not someone who can workout in the evenings so this is the only way for me.

Turn On A Podcast: To me very little makes me feel more productive than listening to a podcast. I have some of my favorite blogging podcast here and I try to listen to an episode of one each morning. Try it!

Tackle The Hardest Thing First: If I have something tedious or just plain hard on my to-do list I tackle that FIRST. Once that’s out of the way, everything else just seems a lot easier to handle. Do you ever feel that way? Once that hard activity is out of the way I also feel really accomplished which in turn motivates me to get even more done!

Reflect: If you have the time, try to reflect for 5-10 minutes on the day before, the day ahead, and what you want to do different or better. This always makes me feel great and puts me in a very positive mood.

What are your suggestions for things to do every morning for a productive day? I would love to know!

1. Gabe wrote:

Ok you got me. I’m still lying in bed, trying to come up with one more excuse to hit the snooze button.

While I don’t share the same enthusiasm for podcasts, reading blogs often primes the pumps for a productive day.

In this case, it worked. I’m up!

Published 3.6.17
  2. I actually practice most of these tips – except waking early! Guess I know what goal to work towards now.

Published 3.6.17
  3. I LOVE listening to podcasts in the morning! Great article.

Emma | http://www.emmalenhart.com

Published 3.6.17
  4. Great tips but with a one month old I’m always awake right now but I do try to get a cardio workout in the morning. I’m awake every 3-4 hours for feedings right now so hopefully in the future when I’m more rested and the little one is asleep through the night I will be able to do an actual morning routine.

5. Dalal wrote:

Great tips, you covered it all. When I am disciplined enough to keep a healthy morning routine I am always feeling good and productive.

Published 3.6.17
  6. Great tips! I’m a huge believer in making lists and I try to give myself a timeframe for each task so I don’t get distracted. Thanks for sharing these!

7. Victoria wrote:

These are great tips. Not sure I could get up at 5.30am though! Yikes that early. lol

8. Leanna wrote:

These are such great tips! I always get up about 20 min before I need to just so I can get a couple admin things done. It really helps to start my day out right! Tackling the hardest thing first is something I should really try.

Published 3.6.17
  9. These are really great tips! I find that it is difficult to make myself do the biggest or hardest thing first, but once I do I feel so accomplished and ready to continue on that track for the day!

10. Bren Pace wrote:

Caffeine, caffeine, caffeine! I’m so NOT a morning person but wake up during the week at 445 a because I have to get the furkids ready and myself and head out to work. On the weekend, I prefer to sleep in until 630 or 7 a. I’m more of a night person and think best after 4 pm. Weird, right?

I love your tips! Thanks for sharing!

11. Christiana wrote:

I love this list! I just wrote a blog about my new morning routine, and I talked about getting up earlier, working out, drinking water and eating breakfast. Little changes make a big difference! I’m going to try your suggestion of listening to a podcast!

Published 3.6.17
  12. I’m an early riser and I workout! Always keeps me productive. I’m up at 4:45 and at the gym by 5!

13. allie wrote:

I find I’m more productive when I get up earlier as well. Great tips!

XO,
    Allie

14. Nicole wrote:

Love these tips! I agree–starting with the hardest thing first really makes the day flow better.

Published 3.6.17
  15. I love getting up early–and getting exercise out of the way! I’ve yet to listen to a podcast, but you’ve got me thinking they’d be a great way to pass the time on the treadmill. Thanks for the great suggestions!

Published 3.6.17
  16. I really need to get better at mornings! I always sleep in until the last possible minute which leaves me frazzled and anxious. When I have the time though, I like taking my time getting dressed, having breakfast and then taking the dog for a walk.

17. Kyrstie wrote:

Love these tips, I practice most but could definitely add in some exercise. Thanks!

18. Jen wrote:

I’m a huge believer in having a to-do list. I get great joy when I’m able to cross a task off the list! I also get up early and find it’s the best time to get things done!

Published 3.6.17
  19. I love your tips for a productive day! Tackling the hardest things first is great advice. I used to be terrible at this. When you take care of the tough things first it really frees your mind up to concentrate better throughout the whole day!

xoxo
    Naomi

Published 3.6.17
  20. I hate walking up early!! But, I know that I could probably get so much done if I did.

Published 3.6.17
  21. I love listening to podcasts while getting ready for the day! I also like to relax with my post-workout smoothie while reading some of whatever book I’m currently into.

22. Abbey wrote:

Having a list is so key for me, too!

Published 3.6.17
  23. I 100% agree to tackle the hard thing first. I do that ALWAYS and it makes me feel so accomplished.

Enjoy your productive mornings as I’m enjoying my morning coffee right now.

Warmly,
    thebookofmolly.com

24. Hayley wrote:

These are great tips! I need to get better at doing some of these things, cause I need to be more productive! A couple of these things I’d never thought of before, so thanks for sharing this!

25. Jamie Fray wrote:

I used to hate waking up and working out, but now I’ve found that it just energizes me for the whole day. Your tip about doing the hard things first is also great–if I don’t do that, I just don’t enjoy the day. I’ll spend the whole day worrying and agonizing over that thing I DON’T want to do. Great tips!

26. Katie wrote:

Starting my morning bright and early, with meditation, a workout and then a delicious cup of coffee is truly a MUST for me! I have a planner where I limit to 1-3 tasks outside of work to complete each day, which helps me find balance, but when I get to work, the first thing I do is check my email and write out my to-do list for the day. Even the tasks that I do every single day are included, so I can feel the accomplishment of checking things off but also ensuring that nothing is forgotten if something comes up that takes my day in an unseen direction.

Published 3.6.17
  27. I always feel SO much better when I’ve gotten my workout in AND woke up early…especially if I woke up early TO work out! Such a difference!

28. michele h peterson wrote:

so true about the importance of exercise in starting a productive day. I need to make this a priority!

29. cara wrote:

I love starting my day out with a workout! It always gives me a burst of energy to tackle whatever is on my plate!

Published 3.6.17
  30. All great tips! I do pretty well with all of them except waking up early. I’ll do okay for a few days at a time, and then I’m right back off the wagon.

Published 3.6.17
  31. I do love my lists. I’m not a fan of morning workouts in general. I like to get up and dressed for the day, get my work done and then I swim before picking my son up from school.

32. lisa wrote:

I’m really working hard on this! My workouts will always be afternoon but I’m getting better at a productive morning for sure!

33. Jaime wrote:

I work on my planner over the weekend for the upcoming week, and then the night before I go through to make sure I am not missing anything. Lists are my life! I already wake up super early (and go to bed too late.) I wish I could be more productive in the morning, but it’s not in the cards right now.

34. Dottie wrote:

Lists! Exercise! Podcasts? Hmmm I am always looking for new ones. Can’t wait to give these a listen and intigrate them into my mornings.

35. Rachel wrote:

Waking up early is something I’m really wanting to get better at! I find that when I do get up early, I’m able to get a lot more done!

Published 3.6.17
  36. I’ve been getting up earlier than ever (5:45am compared to 7am) and boy do I get a lot of stuff done! Then I don’t even know where the day goes.

Published 3.6.17
  37. I always try to tackle the hardest or most tedious thing first! it really helps to do it before i’m totally awake lol

38. Megan wrote:

Having a to-do list is a MUST for me. I like to plan out exactly what I have to do and when I’ll do it. Also, no morning would be complete without coffee (but you already knew that.)

39. Liz Mays wrote:

These are great ideas! I think having a routine that works on your mind and body helps a lot. I should start downloading some podcasts too.

40. Kiara A Catanzaro wrote:

I can’t wait until it’s a little warmer here in PA so I can get outside before work for morning workouts. Love these tips!

Published 3.6.17
  41. I do most of those so yay! the one things I’m bad at is completing the hardest task first. I always go to the easiest ones first and I’m always too bored and tired to do the tasks that are actually important.

42. Beth wrote:

I love getting up early- 5am is almost too late. I gives me time to : pray, exercise, create a to-do list and get dressed. And I get to do it all by myself before the house awakes.

Published 3.6.17
  43. I’m a night owl, but I’ve come to appreciate mornings and waking up earlier after having to do so for work. I can’t wake up earlier than I already do to workout (my workouts are so lackluster when I do) but I had an appointment at a travel clinic to get some vaccinations for an upcoming trip, so I had some extra time on my hands before I had to go to the doctor. I woke up a little later than usual (at a time that I think is more natural for me to wake up at…I’ve noticed that when I go to bed at a decent time and don’t set an alarm I tend to wake up between 7:30 and 8) and I was able to get a workout in before I went. I felt so good all day!

44. Jenny wrote:

Love this! I’m more of a night owl but I enjoy working out in the am.

45. Robin wrote:

Tackling the hardest thing first is KEY. I always ask myself, will it use up more energy to just do it, or to worry about it alllll day? (It’s usually easier to just do it!)

46. Laura wrote:

I do a lot of these (though I wake up at 6, not 5:30!), though usually instead of a heavy workout i’ll start the day with a 15 minute Pilates routine to get the blood flowing and wake up my mind and body at the same time. SUPER useful!

A big way to get my day organized is to prep the night before! Before I go to ed I make sure my work back is packed, my overnight oats are in the fridge, lunch is packed, and everything is together and ready for me to grab. Not having to stress about where things are or getting things prepared means more time to enjoy my morning coffee and get into my day.

I also usually spend 5 minutes browsing the “humor” section on pinterest, for a morning laugh!

xxox
    Laura @ http://www.cookwineandthinker.com

Published 3.6.17
  47. What a great system. I pretty much do the same things and it’s been a life saver. The sweating part definitely helps me clear my mind after planning out my day.

48. Allison wrote:

The list is so important for me, maybe I should try one of your other suggestions. Getting up early is so hard when my little one still gets up at least once every night.

49. Meghan wrote:

This is such great tips to get productive. I found that if I wake up early and get on with my workout first thing I am way more productive throughout the day!

Published 3.6.17
  50. Great list. Getting up early is definitely the key for me. If I don’t I feel like I’m behind all day. 😉

blessings,
    Shan

Published 3.7.17
  51. I love these! The biggest thing for me is to do the hardest thing first! 🙂 That is the goal to a productive day for me❤️ Thanks for sharing!!

Published 3.7.17
  52. I have insomnia so I’ve got the wake up earl y thing covered. I have a long to do list and love crossing stuff off, but I need to do things I can do first due to chronic illness. Not necessarily the hardest thing. Everything with chronic illness is the hardest thing.

53. Hannah wrote:

I’m so bad at being productive in the morning. I think for me the most important thing to do is get up early and have a list. If I don’t, I’ll just lounge around and be lazy and get nothing done. Great list!

Published 3.7.17
  54. I’m a big list maker. Love the sense of accomplishment as I cross things off all day

55. Divya wrote:

I need to be better about doing the hard things first! I tend to want to cross things off my list which makes me gravitate toward the simple tasks.

56. Carina wrote:

I’ve never thought of listening to a podcast in the morning! Good idea. I’m going to have to try that. I agree 100% about getting up early, ESPECIALLY if you have kids. It helps me get a lot of things done before they even get up.

Published 3.7.17
  57. I love your blog design. I wish I could follow your lead and work out in the morning but that seems to be the only time of day that I can write.

58. Maria wrote:

Great tips and I definitely agree! For me the best thing is to read a book for around 30 min and meditate (5 min or more), I feel SO good after!

Maria

Latest on the blog: Handbag dupes

59. Sheila Jo wrote:

I love to listen to a podcast or audiobook while doing tasks around the house (putting laundry away, cooking, etc.). Makes the work go faster and makes me feel double productive!

Published 3.7.17
  60. I so hate waking up early especially when I’m usually in bed around 3 am. But I need to change my sleeping habits because when I do wake up early I get SO much more done!!

61. Diana wrote:

I couldn’t agree with your tips more! Our mornings must look a lot alike. Have you check out Happy Hour with Jamie Ivey Podcast? It’s my absolute favorite. 🙂

Published 3.7.17
  62. I practice most of these tips, and they really do help. I feel way more productive when I do!

Published 3.7.17
  63. Listening to more podcasts is definitely on my list! Getting some great advice or just getting a great laugh on the drive in definitely helps!

Published 3.7.17
  64. This is the motivation I was looking for! Definitely trying to get more AM workouts into my routine this year.

65. Alana wrote:

Upon getting up, I listen to a news briefing from my Amazon echo and, during it, I start my stretching exercises. I do balance exercises to the Weather Channel. I also edit my prewritten blog post from the night before, and publish it. And, I am a firm believer in lists, like you, and in getting the toughest thing done first – if possible.

66. Rosey wrote:

I like the idea of tackling the hardest things first. I wish I could do that today, but the hard thing is out of my hands for this one. 🙂

Published 3.8.17
  67. I really like the basis you cover here, I do feel a lot more productive waking up early if I do anything past 11am starting off I feel like my day is wasted a little!!

Published 3.8.17

One of the things I feel that help me be more productive is get dressed – even if it’s a top and joggers I feel like getting out my pjs makes me more productive. I completely agree with the to do lists; those have helped me so much because I want to be proud of checking those things off – even if I end up moving something to the next day I feel productive and like I’ve accomplished something if by the end of the week I’ve done everything i have wanted to do.

Published 2.1.21