I have been working from home for nearly 2 years. I own my own Social Media company and I blog full time. So basically I work two full time jobs. I have a lot of friends who have come to me asking me how I work at home and keep up a schedule, do not get distracted etc. So I wanted to share my tips and things I have learned from working at home.
1. Set a Loose Schedule for Most Days: All of my days are different. Some days I have a dr’s appt mid day. Some days I have a blog consultation in the morning. Some days I am grabbing lunch with a friend. So I have a pretty loose schedule of where my time is allocated and how. This way I have a sort of skeleton to work from. Even if something comes up or I have a client meeting, lunch etc I know what needs to be done. I also schedule in time to work out usually mid day. I also as much as I can try to stop working when Andrew gets home a little after 5. That does not mean I do not respond to clients or emails later at night. But I do try to put my laptop away if possible. This is not only important for my sanity but for our relationship.
2. It Can be Isolating: I’m not going to lie some days I do not leave the house. Days like that can get isolating. If I am really busy getting posts scheduled for clients, emails out, blog posts written and what not I do not even notice it’s almost 5 PM and Andrew will be home soon. Try to set up a few coffee dates with people to network with or similar like minded people who also own businesses. I do these in the morning. It gets me out and motivated. I also sometimes pick one morning and get a ton of errands done. It breaks up the minutia a bit. Try not to dwell on the days you feel like you are alone. Put on something in the background you like. For instance a great pandora station or a show you like streaming on Netflix. I am not easily distracted by this so it is perfect for me.
3. Start Your Day Doing Something Just for You: Owning your own business can mean not necessarily having normal 8-5 working hours. I get up when Andrew does around 7 and I usually spend that time: making breakfast/coffee and checking personal emails as well as my personal Social Media account and sharing my daily blog posts on Social Media. Some days I will read for 30 or so minutes in the morning. This was a great tip I learned at Bloggy Boot Camp that I really really try to integrate into my life.
4. Have a Designated Office Area: I know not everyone is lucky enough to have a second bedroom that can be used entirely as an office. Andrew even has a small study as his office. We are lucky and I remember that everyday. I have a great office filled with things that make me happy, remind me of how far I have come and inspire me. I try to go into that office from 8-5. I eat lunch in there and try to keep it organized and clean and a place that I feel comfortable working in. I do spend some days working in our living room from our couch on our laptop as my health hasn’t been 100% lately. But for the most part I work in my office. I love that space and decorated it and made it exactly what it needed to be for me to feel good working in it. If you can’t have an entire room try to find some space that is yours alone for working. It helps.
A glimpse into mine
5. Know when you need a break: I work for myself so if I need a break I take a break. I give myself one Friday off or a Friday half day a month. I see a movie, or go for a walk(weather permitting), get things done I want to get done for myself. This will keep you sane as it has me for the past 2 years.
Some other things I Have learned from Working at Home:
Working from home is hard
Working for yourself is hard
Do not give up on what you want
What are your work tips from home or in an office?